Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with meeting notes. What is the difference between a group and a team?

suzu.strayer December 27, 2019

I'm interested in using the user list macro for a meeting notes template.  The macro asks for you to list out group names to include.

Since I am not an admin, I do not have the ability to create user groups.  But I do have the ability to create teams.  What exactly is the difference?

I'm also wondering if there's any easy way to create a list of participants in a meeting notes document based on a group, with the option to simply check off who was present rather than having to @ each one.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 30, 2019

Hello there, @suzu.strayer 

Teams and Groups do sound pretty similar. However, other than grouping users under a single name, their usages are pretty different.

Groups are used for system administration purposes. Such as granting or denying permissions and restrictions. Groups are also tied to a specific instance of your application. Groups can not be used across instances (sites).

The first glaring difference between Groups and Teams is that Teams can be used across sites. Teams can not receive permissions or restrictions as Groups can. So no way of adding them to page restrictions or space permissions. Teams are tied to Users, not sites, which is why they are accessible in all instances to which the user has access to.

If you need to mention a lot of users all the time, you could create a team, include all of them in the said team and then, mention that specific team each time you need to mention the users. Here is how we can do it:

1. Go to your Confluence Site
  2. Click the People tab in the side bar                                                                                         Anotação 2019-12-30 133305.jpg
  3. Click the Start a team button at the top right corner                                                          Anotação 2019-12-30 133446.jpg
  4. Type out a team name                                                                                                         Anotação 2019-12-30 133542.jpg
  5. Select who is going to be part of this team
  6. Click save
  7. Now, use the @TeamName to mention that team

Also, here is our documentation on both Teams and Groups:

I hope this shines some light into your issue! Looking forward to your reply.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events