Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable "Watches" for new users by default

Chris Fortmueller September 3, 2021

Hi,

currently, when we have a new person joining our company, and we accordingly set up a new confluence account for this user, the user is automatically added as a watcher to our confluence space.

This means that a new employee is bombarded with mails regarding any changes to any page within this space.

I know we can ask each user to use the "Stop Watching" functionality by going to "Watches" in their profile settings. autowatch spaces.png

Is there, however, a way for us to change the default "watches" of any and all new users we create? That would be a lot more practical if we could simply control the watches for new users on an admin-level.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2021

Hi @Chris Fortmueller , 

as far as I know it is not possible to turn this off globally on a Confluence Cloud site. However there is a new feature request being tracked here : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-39970

Another solution would be to remove new users from the watchers with the Confluence API : https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/rest/api-group-content-watches/#api-wiki-rest-api-content-id-notification-created-get

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Chris Fortmueller September 3, 2021

@Alexis Robert Thanks for your idea and your response! :). We will check if we can integrate a call to the API in our workflow for new employees. Alternatively, we might manually disable the watch on an individual level within this workflow.

Tim Lange November 9, 2021

Hello @Alexis Robert 

so i managed to get space watchers and their affiliated account id by requesting:

GET /wiki/rest/api/space/SPACEKEY/watch

Followed by:

DELETE /wiki/rest/api/user/watch/space/SPACEKEY?accountid=ACCOUNTID

i'm getting status code 204 which is a sucess by documentation, but the user is not deleted from space watches

Am i getting something wrong here? Is this a bug?

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2021

Answered in the separate question where you asked this.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events