Confluence editor performance limitations.

Stephen Ellwood February 17, 2022

Today I uploaded a ~800kByte confluence page using the REST API. Actually it started as 1Mbyte but it would not upload at that size.  I wanted to add a TOC to the top of it but the editor is simply unusable for this size of file.  It continually looses the server connection.  What is interesting is every few minutes it comes back for one or two seconds and then goes away again. So I have been able to at the TOC macro but half an hour later I am still waiting to have enough up-time to save it. Its not my Internet link - I am typing this quite happily while i am waiting.

Having come from MS Word which has no problem with files 20x bigger I think that users should be aware what limitations the Confluence editor has.  Can someone please tell me what the maximum upload size is and how to get around these limitations?

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2022

@Stephen Ellwood That sounds like a huge document.  I am guessing that it is a combination of Confluence cloud and your browser.  What browser are you using?  Have you tried any other browsers?  I would suggest submitting a support issue to Atlassian so they can provide you with insights as to size limitations.  https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Stephen Ellwood May 25, 2022

Hi @Brant Schroeder : good questions

The Excel source is 440kbytes but the conversion to Confluence storage format bloats it somewhat.

As for browser, I use the market leader, Chrome.  For comparison I also used Edge, which was no faster. The speed of Confluence does seem to be very dependent on the speed of the PC. I have since upgraded my PC and its now much faster with Confluence in general.

However the comment remains - why does Confluence editor become non-responsive with actually quite small files? There seems to be some turn-around time issue with keeping the link between Cloud and PC alive, which my old PC just could not meet.

In the meantime I split the page into several sub-pages as I am not the only reader and other readers still have slow[er] PCs. I also added the TOC macro programmatically so that I don't have to edit it, ever :o).

Like Brant Schroeder likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events