Atlassian Companion App - Mac - Doesn't seem to be starting

Vikas Bansal December 16, 2019

Hi, 

I'm using Confluence and my Confluence page has images which I uploaded from my Macbook. Now, I need to update these images. Since these are many images instead of deleting and re-uploading images I was looking for an easier option. Came across Atlassian Companion App. Downloaded its .dmg and installed. However, when I start it then the only visible thing is Atlassioin icon in Menu Bar. But there is no Application that opens up. Is this how this is supposed to work? If so, how do I upload any file on Confluence using the Companion App? Has anyone faced similar issue? If so, what's the resolution? I've ensured the necessary Accessibility setting is done.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Vikas.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2019

Hi @Vikas Bansal ,

The Companion App does not have a UI, it shows in the taskbar to indicate that it is running. You can trigger the Companion app in Confluence by going to the attachments page and clicking the "Edit File" button on an attachment. See the attached screenshot. 

Regards,
Alex

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 10.47.06 am.png

Vikas Bansal December 17, 2019

Thanks Alex.

This is helpful. Clicking 'Edit File' in Confluence opens up the attached window. In this I can edit the file in 'With with Preview', 'Download', and 'Upload a new version'.

Perhaps my ask is too much. My requirement is slightly different.

I created a Confluence Page with attachments which are images. I want to be able to update these images on Confluence Page as seamlessly as possible. So far, I was deleting the images and uploading a new one. With Companion App, the process would look like:

• Click on 'Attachments' on the Confluence Page
  • Choose the image I want to update, and click on 'Edit File'
  • Click on 'Upload a new version'
  • Do above for all the images on Confluence Page. FYI - I've 22 images on my one Confluence Page.

Screenshot 2019-12-18 at 6.33.44 AM.png

Instead, I figured a better alternative is to use 'Drop files here to attach them'. Using 'Drop files here to attach them' I can drop multiple images and update them in one go.

Screenshot 2019-12-18 at 6.33.50 AM.png

I was wondering if the process can be simplified. I just created new version on my local folder, and Companion App updates the same on Confluence? Will using Dropbox or Google Drive help accomplish this?

Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2020

@Vikas Bansal ,

Thank you for the suggestion. The new version of Companion allows you to launch and manage many files at the same time. You can work on a file for up to two weeks and continue uploading it to Confluence in that time. Files are stored in the ".atlassian-companion" directory within your home directory. However it doesn't have "auto-sync" to a desktop folder like Google Drive or Dropbox. 

You you are interested in the new improvements released in Confluence 7.3 and Companion 1.1.0, see this community post for details and this documentation page for Edit Files

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events