You can see Table of Contents while editing now!

Hi! I’m David from the Confluence Cloud team. I wanted to share an experience improvement we’ve shipped for Table of Contents, one of the most popular elements used by Confluence Cloud customers.

Historically, when editing a Confluence page with a Table of Contents, you weren’t actually able to see what your Table of Contents looked like until you published your page.

cc757173-3273-465c-a41b-068c732d5ece.png

With our latest improvement, now you can actually see your Table of Contents while editing! And it updates in real-time as you make updates! Gone are the days of wondering what your Table of Contents will look like while editing.

toc.gif

To try it out, just type / or hit the + menu in the toolbar when editing a Confluence page, look for Table of Contents, and insert. Start adding headings and watch it update in realtime.

Up next, we plan to increase parity between Table of Contents while editing and while viewing a published page by making the heading links clickable in edit mode, directing to the relevant header’s position on the page. Stay tuned for updates.

Got any feedback? Let us know in the comments below!

4 comments

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2023

Excellent!

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2023

This is a wonderful new feature! I'm also looking forward to the clickable links while editing, since this will make it easy to jump to the section of the page where I need to edit.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2023

Nice update.

Any chance there is space on the roadmap to have a floating table of contents like in Server (at least in 2016 when I was last on server) so that it remains on screen when scrolling through pages? ToC is a nice feature, but much less valuable as a static one that stays in place on a page.

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2023

Agreed, @Andy Gladstone !!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events