What's New in Confluence Cloud – January 2020 Edition

122 comments

Ira Chandler February 7, 2020

@Vincent Mann - Actually there are THREE related issues recorded for the SAME bug so the total is higher.  I have asked a few times that they be merged and the votes totalled, but NOBODY on staff is willing to do that...

Given that the HUGE part of the first screen in JSD is the [SEARCH] that dives into the Confluence pages, and presents results from those pages, it is not a marginal functionality to expect our complex pages to be able to display TOC.  And in the recent update to the JSD first screen, they enhanced the size of the Search area so it is more prominent and equally useless.  Some bugs cannot be measured by votes...  Minor but annoying little things can dominate the voting and eat all the dev's time, where a critical dysfunction that has deep impact gets ignored...

Like Vincent Mann likes this
Ira Chandler February 7, 2020

PS:  Confidential is only that which is marked as such...

Like Tom Crowley likes this
Sergey Kurguzenkov February 10, 2020
Tom Crowley February 10, 2020

@Sergey Kurguzenkov It's one of the "improvements" in the new editor. If you need inline images for icons and buttons and things, the official line is you can do it by uploading custom emoji instead (except this has some big limitations).

@Sergey Kurguzenkov If you need it for anything bigger than an emoji, you're in trouble. If you import anything with inline images in it, you're in trouble. If you need to include any text with a custom emoji in it in a TOC Zone or Include macro, or export it to Word or PDF, yup, you're in trouble again.

Like Sergey Kurguzenkov likes this

Ah, that's what the emoji is about. A copy-paste would be too easy.

Thanks, @Tom Crowley

Like Tom Crowley likes this

Is there somewhere a list of features that were removed from new editor?

@Sergey Kurguzenkov The Roadmap covers a lot of them, but not all.

@Sergey Kurguzenkov There are a lot of bugs surrounding some of the things they carried over or added anew, like with the emoji feature. If there's something not listed on there that you can't find, you can always ask it on one of these forums, because it's likely we've already discussed it somewhere, so someone might be able to link you to a ticket or a workaround.

Like Vincent Mann likes this

Do I understand correctly, that those feature were removed and then a roadmap was created to add them back?

@Sergey Kurguzenkov No, a lot of them were intentionally removed and there are no plans to add them back. We're having some luck lobbying for certain ones, but they aren't moving on others.

The Roadmap I linked has a feature comparison table between the two editors. It shows whether they are considering reinstating some of the features or not. Of about 21 removed macros and other functionality, around half of them are on the short term backlog.

k.mchardie February 10, 2020

I'm extremely disappointed in the backwards step and functionality regression of the Image sizing functions of the new editor.  This is a step backwards and has seriously impacted the layout abilities of our pages.  The old editor offered far more functionality while working with and sizing/placing images.  Cannot understand why Atlassian have taken this backwards step.

Like Bec Honey likes this
Tom Crowley February 12, 2020
Bob Sovers February 12, 2020

Yet again I've given Atlassian feedback on the Confluence editor roadmap (aka https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/confluence-cloud-editor-roadmap-967314556.html? )

Here is what I sent in:

This document needs to be broken up into more "digestible" chunks. While the 54 pages of information appears to be useful, it is way to long to wander around. There appears to be 2 different things documented. Each should be a separate header page, with something like a searchable Page Tree. And though there is too many things being documented, each item needs greater clarification (possibly using tool-tip or hot-links to more complete documentation)

If this is Atlassian's view of a "good" example for Confluence editors, you are setting a very bad example.

Like # people like this
Tom Crowley February 12, 2020

Agree with you there @Bob Sovers. I don't think it's actually a roadmap anyway. A roadmap is supposed to indicate where the product is going. Half of the page is just a feature comparison between new and old editors, with Jira tickets added to attempt to placate the masses, and the other half is a migration guide. 

Like # people like this
k.mchardie February 12, 2020

I agree with the comments here.  I cannot believe a customer-focused company such as Atlassian has taken this route - which does not serve their own customers. Ball dropped. You can lead your customers towards a certain point, but when those same customers tell you "this doesn't work for us" - listen to them.  

Like # people like this
Tom Crowley February 20, 2020

Over on ticket 65695, a Avi left the following comment that might be of interest to some of you. If you no longer have the legacy template, Support can re-enable it for you. Should mean you no longer have to copy old pages to use the old editor.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback on this ticket. Given the amount of requests we've started to explore what a potential quick win may look like to re-introduce this. That being said, we still can't guarantee a time frame for this - we will make sure to update this ticket as we know more on our end.

In the meantime, if you have the legacy template available - which most of you should have - you can keep using that to create new pages and still keep using this feature. If you don't have that template, you can reach out to support and we'll be happy to enable it for you.

Thanks,

Avinoam

Like # people like this
Svane February 26, 2020

This entire "New Experience" has been one big dissapointment...

Removing a ton of macros while a lot of those still there are buggy / not working is not a cleanup of macros.

It feels incredible unprofessional, this whole "New Experience" - the implementation, the functionalities, the visual design, the UX, everything.

My attitude for Confluence has gone from "Extreamly positive" to "dissapointment and disbelief".

- A lot of useful macros removed.

- Many remaining macros not working.

- One or two more mouse clicks for interaction here and there than previously, over a day it adds up (not to mention a week, or month). 

- More "unused white space" as a whole.

At our agency I am trying to be constructive about the new editor, but every time I resort back to the old editor because the bare minimum of functionalities and usability works.  

Like # people like this
Jen April 30, 2020

Hi All- this is more of a question.

I noticed in the new page editor, that there doesn't seem to be an area to leave a comment about what's been changed - am I missing something?

For my existing pages I see this:

old page editor.JPG

For pages which have been upgraded, I don't have the comment option.

Originally I thought it may not be part of the process going forward, but then I noticed that the comment field is still showing in the Page History

page history - comments.JPG

It's really important that we have the ability to leave a comment so that we can track what changes were made as part of the revision table.  Any suggestions on what to use in place of the comment field, if indeed it has left forever?

John Tolle April 30, 2020

The comment field does not exist in the new editor.  There may be a feature request to bring it back that you can add your vote to (you'll have to hunt it down) here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/CONFCLOUD/issues

Bob Sovers April 30, 2020

Here (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65695) is the link to the comment field issue.   Atlassian still is "Gathering Interest" about having dropped this feature.  I wonder how many customers they have lost, who have abandoned Confluence and switched to a better solution?

Bob Sovers April 30, 2020

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/confluence-cloud-editor-roadmap/ 

Is a page show most of the higher-visibility issues with the new editor, along with the Jira link of the public-facing Jira task to resolve the issue.  

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events