Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's New in Confluence Cloud – January 2020 Edition

122 comments

Tom Crowley January 28, 2020

I'll keep this short, @Jessica Taylor, since you seem to like the short comments.

What are you going to do? Let us keep the old editor? Or fix the new editor?

Like # people like this
Ira Chandler January 28, 2020

OH, WONDERFUL!  Just tested and NOW in the new editor, you CANNOT embed a [numbered headings] macro in the [table of contents zone].   TOCZ and NH are mutually exclusive and cannot be nested.

This NEGATES the prior workaround to not displaying Confluence TOC in Jira Service Desk.  The only way to do that WAS to use a TOCZ, but now, that cannot be done if you use NUMBERED HEADINGS - at least not that I can figure out.

The issue of copying out of a TOCZ with formatting appears to work fine, so that is an improvement...

Every day, this gets more frustrating.

Abelis January 29, 2020

Hello!

when it will be possible to create a drop-down list with the status list?

Any idea when we will be able to add hyperlinks to images again?

Thank you

Like # people like this
Kelvin Hill January 29, 2020

[MODERATOR NOTE: post edited to comply with Atlassian Community Rules of Engagement]

Everything Atlassian plans to do with Confluence Cloud is included in the Roadmap. Here is the link to the new-editor roadmap: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/confluence-cloud-editor-roadmap-967314556.html

Regarding adding hyperlinks to images, please find the roadmap entry "Image is a link." You'll notice that functionality is associated with a Jira issue (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65640), which is currently in the short-term backlog

As for drop-down lists, they make no appearance on the roadmap. 

If you want to see drop-down lists introduced, you'll need to "Suggest a Feature" by logging in to the Jira System Dashboard, here: https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa. Select Confluence Cloud, and then search for existing issues to ensure someone hasn't already submitted a similar request. If you know how to use Jira, you'll want to ensure you select the following:

Project: Confluence Cloud
Component: Editor - Fabric

If you find no matching issues for drop-down lists, you should go ahead and create a new one. 

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 29, 2020

Reading over the conversion of "legacy" pages to the new format, I didn't see how to do this without manually doing it on each page. When you have thousands of pages, this can be an issue. When will you be able to convert ALL the pages?

We can't switch to the new editor until this is available and it is causing problems.

1) Less experience users are just clicking the first "blank page" button to make a new Confluence page which then has to be copied and pasted into the old editor layout so it matches all the other pages.

2) Sometimes the "Old Editor" layout isn't available and we are forced to copy an old page, delete the content, move it to the correct position on the file tree, and then start adding the new content. This does not seem like a good solution. 

Even though the old editor seems much better, we can't even try and start using the new editor until we can convert all the past pages to match the new editor layout and don't want to make thousands of clicks to do it.

When will it be possible to convert an entire space?

Also, will it be possible to REVERT to the old editor layout if after converting the new pages are all messed up?

Like Ira Chandler likes this
Kyle Peters January 29, 2020

It's a huge problem for my company that we cannot re-size images anymore. We use Confluence to create internal process documentation as well as client-facing manuals. The inability to format screen shots and images in a manner of our choosing has thrown our entire process for a loop, because the resulting pages look terrible. We may have to consider migrating to a different tool.

Like # people like this
Caitlin Main January 29, 2020

I honestly think the new feel of the editor is nice enough, and I wouldn't have any major complaints if it were not for the fact that we lost so much control over a lot of elements of image/macro formatting (in our case, setting custom resolutions for images, nesting images/macros in lists, etc.). I'm worried about converting fully to the new editor based on what I've seen so far. 

This update feels to me  as thought it was designed to oversimplify front-facing page creation and "standardize" it (based on Atlassian's definition of what "standard" should be) for, it seems, largely/primarily mobile use (I could be wrong, but why would they choose to only allow image per line otherwise?), without giving companies who do not use it that way any options to retain the flexibility we previously had to use your product the way we need to. 

I feel that these changes diminish the fluidity of this product, and also send a stark message companies who need custom control over these things that their needs and usage of Confluence is less valued. That's certainly the message we feel we've received, and it is frustrating that our creative departments will have to waste time (money) re-configuring how we document in our fast-paced design environment because that decision was made for us. 

Like # people like this
Joss deWytt January 29, 2020

Time to level up!

Nanda_Reynaldi January 30, 2020

hmmm

Kelvin Hill January 30, 2020

[MODERATOR NOTE: post edited to comply with Atlassian Community Rules of Engagement]

@Joss deWytt, welcome. I'm intrigued by your "Time to level up!" comment. Were you suggesting that the many naysayers here should embrace the new editor as an advancement (i.e., the next level) of an editor around which oodles of serious users have built sophisticated solutions over many years?

For many years, a wealth of functionality was made available to users in the legacy editor. In the "next-level" editor, much of that functionality has been dumbed down or omitted. The polished look of the new editor is a thing of beauty, but the loss in functionality is debilitating. It is impossible for any serious, committed user to conceive the current state of the new editor as anything other than a huge inconvenience. For committed, long-term users, "levelling-down" is arguably the only way to describe it.

Like # people like this
Tom Crowley January 30, 2020

@[deleted] Support might be able to help with that, but when we converted ours (naively), any pages with incompatible elements (nested macros, in-line images, etc.) either broke or wouldn't convert upon opening. There was talk of them working on a migration tool, but I've not heard anything on that front for a while.

Also don't count on being able to revert anything.

Like # people like this

When did Page Analytics get rolled out to non-Premium users?

confluence-page-analytics.png

When I click through, I can see Views for the past few days and the following marketing message:

Snag_60b6c90.png

Also, I'm no longer getting notifications for activity on this page and possibly others. I get the hint, but I'm not going anywhere...

@Tom CrowleyI believe I noticed it on Monday, but it isn't of use to my company since we don't make our online material publically accessible. As such, I simply ignored it.

Like Ira Chandler likes this

@Kelvin Hill Ok, not just me. It's fairly new then. Our stuff isn't public-facing either. I installed a Google Analytics plugin to monitor whether the rest of the company was looking for info in Confluence or whether they were still using our Zendesk site. This isn't going to be useful for anything beyond mild curiosity. It feels like another of their attempts to get people to sign up for Premium, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it touted as a new feature in the What's New in February page.

Like # people like this

@Tom CrowleySnap! I installed a plug-in to do the same thing. Can't remember now if there's more than one available. After allowing it to run for a while, it revealed little of interest, so I uninstalled it.

As you predict, this will undoubtedly be lauded as another must-have feature. In truth, it's a nice-to-have bonus for those whose content is public-facing. I simply can't get excited about it when I consider the many backward steps introduced such as the shocking loss of image-size control. It's like Maslow's hierarchy of needs; how can I be expected to appreciate the lovely new park down the road when my house is on fire?

Like # people like this

@Kelvin Hill It also suggests that for some reason they need to drum up more revenue from Confluence Cloud by giving us the hard sell on Premium.

Maybe if they hadn't blown up the editor people wouldn't be leaving? Also, if they spent any time adding that in that they could have spent fixing the infestation of bugs, I'll be even more unimpressed. Which will take effort...

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 30, 2020

@Kelvin Hill you're once again using these threads to attack Atlassians and Atlassians, and you've had plenty of warnings so I'm suspending yet another one of your accounts. Feel free to reach out at communitymanagers@atlassian.com with any questions. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 30, 2020

@Tom Crowley email notifications are broken across community as of right now. We have a hot ticket open to fix it. You should be able to track all your conversations in your notification feed: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/notificationfeed/page

Like Tom Crowley likes this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
January 30, 2020
Ira Chandler January 30, 2020

@Monique vdB - Sad that your company cannot take the heat and you have to ban people who expose the horrible way we are being treated.  This is what happens when we have long-standing issues - ignored - that are exacerbated by changes that UNEXPECTEDLY break our lives into little pieces.

Like # people like this
James Lamb January 30, 2020

Hey - I had another comment deleted. There should be a badge for that.  

Like # people like this
Tom Crowley January 31, 2020

Unfortunately, as @Ira Chandler says, this is our last resort.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
January 31, 2020

@Ira Chandler we ban people for violations of our guidelines such as personal attacks and sockpuppeting, not for expressing dissatisfaction or disappointment in our products.  (The original phrasing of your post would be an example of a personal attack, but I changed "you and your company" to "your company" for you, you're welcome.) 

If we can get this thread back on track into constructive conversation, that would be great. For example, if adjusting image pixel size is important to you, here is a ticket you can vote for and follow. I would recommend giving some details about why that's important for your use case also.  (@Kyle Peters your example would be a great one to put in there if you want.) 

If this thread continues to devolve, we will have to close comments and start again. I'd prefer not to have to ban anyone in the process so take a step back if you need to. 

Ira Chandler January 31, 2020

Constructive would be (for you4r company) to methodically address the substantial list of issues.  I have some that are KILLING us that I already listed.

What exactly should/can we expect from this thread/forum?

What CAN we do here, since the issues listed have been posted as Issues in the issue tracker and require a gazillion votes to get attention?

You - are the only interface we have to request direction and updates.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events