Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did you choose Cloud?

Dominika Kuraś-Moskwa _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 3, 2023

Hi Admins, quick question. 

Why Cloud? Which factors were crucial for you? 

For those who used to work on Server, why switching to Cloud was a better option than DC? 

4 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2023
  1. Lack of IT overhead - no servers to maintain.
  2. Uptime and maintenance handled by Atlassian.
  3. Distributed workforce = SaaS as preferred platform over server
  4. Mobile App access
0 votes
Answer accepted
Greg Wenden October 3, 2023

Simplicity of updates. When I hosted a Server version we almost never applied updates. It wasn't public facing which reduced the security risk, but we also missed out on new features.

We wanted to provide external access so moving to the Cloud version made sense.

0 votes
Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 26, 2023

The cloud UI is so much better and improves. Server/Data Center will stay locked in 2010s.

This matters for the vast majority of users. Yet admins and power users of on-prem for years often don't want to hear this as they have mastered on-prem. Cloud comes with a learning curve and compromises.

Unless serious security or regulatory reasons cloud is a no brainer.

0 votes
mb October 16, 2023

We had to switch to Cloud because the Server licenses were discontinued. In my opinion, the Server version was much better because you could customize a lot more, e.g. User Macros or using panels in panels with the "old gen" editor, etc…

DC licenses sadly are too expensive depending on the size of the company.

In terms of security and data privacy, I am a big enthusiast of on-premise systems if you treat them responsibly by applying regular patches and securing your infrastructure. Hence, I am mournfully looking back to the Server variant from times to times.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events