Hello from Lexington, KY

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

Hi all,

I'm technically a Confluence Admin, learning as I go.  I've been at this for a couple months now, trying to wean myself off of Wiki-style web pages and migrate over to Confluence.  What I've seen I like a lot.  I work for Twinspires.com, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Churchill Downs.

One thing I've found incredibly lacking in our cloud instance is any feasible method for managing images.  All I've read makes it sound like there were a number of capabilities removed a few years ago and no equivalent has been provided.  For example, I'm trying to assemble a table of pictures of my teams; despite my best efforts to ensure they are the same size in the raw images, they seem to come out in various sizes in the tables.  I've tried about all I can find and I'm unable to find a viable solution... the more I mess with the pictures in an attempt to make them the same size, the worse it gets.  I finally gave up on trying to achieve this and started reading the community forums... it sounds to me like I'm not alone.  Can someone please shed some light on this?  Am I just missing something?

Glad there are at least community forums where I can turn for pesky issues.

Randy O'Neal

Lexington, KY

2 comments

Comment

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

I've struggled with a similar problem over the last 2+ years. We've got a Confluence page for our "Company directory" and leadership was clear that photos were required. Two years ago I was able to specify "width=100px", which was fantastically deterministic.

But the New Editor features, and other updates since then for to how image sizing is supported on pages and in tables -- all that has made some aspects of this harder.

What's currently working for me is this. I have a table, and one column is for a "headshot" photo for the employee. I crop every photo to be square, then I scale it down to be 100x100 pixels, and save that in a new image file. Only then do I add that image to the Confluence page. Small image sizes (avg 15-20k) help the page load quickly.

The manual image size controls available today for photos feel awkward in this "fixed size column" (by intention, anyway). I use them to grow the image to the size of the column. One cross-check I do is resize the page (specifically: widening or narrowing my browser window) to confirm that the Confluence page preview behaves as I expect it, before publishing.

So far this is working.

You might also want to review and/or vote for this existing request:

Like # people like this
Isaac Trumbo June 21, 2021

I moved from a Confluence Data Center environment at my last company to Confluence Cloud at my new one.

I also noticed that the image management in Cloud is a bit lacking. In Data Center or Server, you had the option to set a Pixel size when adding images. In Cloud, it seems that you can only drag the corners to resize.

Are you dragging the images in the table to the size you want and are just not able to get it perfectly uniform?

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

Correct - when I drag the corners, I see other images also resized in the same table.  Trying to get the images all the same size is like trying to close a tupperware lid - change one, another changes, etc.  It's a maddening chase, and I'm getting nowhere.

Like # people like this
Isaac Trumbo June 21, 2021

Yeah.. Until Atlassian adds back exact sizing, I would think the best way is to get the sizes right in Photoshop or other local tools, and then upload them to Confluence as-is.

Like # people like this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

That was my conclusion as well... thanks for the confirmation.

Like Bridget likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events