Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello! Mary Connor from Austin, Texas

Mary Connor April 15, 2021

I'm a veteran of Confluence Server and Cloud at a prior company; my new company is planning a migration from Server to Cloud, and I'm hip-deep in figuring out where and how to unify and manage the diffuse product documentation, scattered everywhere.

I've got some beefy challenges:

• How to manage that migration with minimal breakage to the new Cloud editor
  • How to get slices of docs exported as DOCX in a reasonably automated way
  • How to build a publishing channel of Cloud content into Salesforce Knowledge with reasonable fidelity, given the immaturity of addons
  • How to get everything done without more addons than we can afford. :-(

My companion on Zoom calls (Kizzy):

kizzy-face.jpg

3 comments

Comment

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Hi, @Mary Connor !

Nice to see you here, you really have exciting challenges!

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 15, 2021

Yes @Mary Connor I have to agree with @Alexander Bondarev - all of those initiatives could be full time jobs, I'm sure!!

Please keep us posted as you make progress on your challenges - especially when it comes to migrating and keeping those damn apps in check ;)! 

Also, HELLO KIZZY! 

Like # people like this
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Kizzy is very serious, but attractive at the same time 🤩

Like Dave Liao likes this
Mary Connor April 30, 2021

Some updates on this list of challenges!

• The CEO nuked the jump to Salesforce Community (and Knowledge articles), so life just got a lot simpler and cheaper.
  • With Scroll Word Export, I hope to leverage Word template macros/VBA to at least automate PDF generation and Google Drive posting.
  • I'm looking at draw.io integration as a way to manage both diagrams and annotated screenshots cleanly within Confluence -- if draw.io exports gracefully to my downstream publishing tool.
Matthew Day June 16, 2021
  • We use draw.io, and I personally like it and can recommend it. Loads of templates to choose from along with the standard drawings. 
  • We also use Scroll PDF exporter for PDF generation. Get a free trial and try it out. 
  • Relative to your templates, that's not so very straight-forward. We left old pages as old pages for the most part. There are lots of missing templates in the Cloud that Server supported with the legacy editor. My hope is that Atlassian will just enable features or support over time. It takes a while to get used to, but there are some decent videos available on using the new editor. 

One thing that caught us offguard, caused major issues, and took a few weeks to resolve were email/account differences between on-prem and cloud. In order to go to the cloud, we needed to have SSO enabled. Certain staff members had different usernames between our IdP Okta and our on-prem LDAP, and this left them unable to use our cloud instance while Atlassian had to sort it out, and that lasted a few weeks for some of them. So, something as simple as bob@company.com vs bobP@company.com took a very long time on the backend to investigate and resolve. 
Like Mary Connor likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events