Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See and learn about all of your spaces with the new Space Reports feature! (all editions)

Hi Confluence admins,

John here with another update: we've added a new feature, Space Reports, to help product admins view all of your site's spaces as well as essential details about them like each space's last activity date and the amount of storage that each space is using!

SRep.png

What is it

We understand that managing all of your spaces in Confluence hasn't always been easy nor efficient. To help support the tasks associates with space management better, we've created this new feature where you can download a CSV that lists all of the spaces across your site.

The columns included in the CSV are:

• Space Id
  • Space Key
  • Space Name
  • Space Type (global / personal)
  • SpaceStatus (current / archived / deleted)
  • Creation Date
  • Creator Account Id
  • Creator Full Name
  • Public Link Permission (on/off)
  • Public Link Count
  • Anonymous Access Status (on/off)
  • Last Activity
  • Content Count (number of active content items)
  • Attachments (number of files)
  • Storage used (MB)

How to use it

First, navigate to Confluence administration by clicking on the settings wheel in the top right of the top nav bar:

top nav entry.png

Then, once in Confluence administration, find the Space Reports page within the left nav:

SR left nav.png

Once in the Space Reports feature, click on the Create Reports button in the top righthand corner, wait for your report to be created, and then click download once your report has finished being created:

SR buttons.png

FAQs

Which editions of Confluence Cloud is this available to?

Customers on our Standard, Premium, and Enterprise editions.

Are more columns / reports / actions coming to this feature?

We plan to provide additional capabilities to help you manage your spaces more efficiently and effectively over the next 12-18 months.

And please let us know if there are additional types of reports + columns that you would be interested in being able to access about your Confluence site!

When can I start using this update?

The new insights have finished rolling out and are ready to use!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or feedback with comments here or by scheduling time to chat with me here

9 comments

Comment

Zim _Andrew Zimmerman_ __Appfire__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2024

Very cool! Just signed up for a further feedback chat! Would be great to have visibility into space admins for each space at report level.

Like # people like this
Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2024

@John Hooper This is a great feature, and it works well as an overview. For Confluence Standard users because they have limited storage it would be invaluable to have this available in each space and list the pages in the space in the CSV with the size of each page (and the attachments therein). But this is a handy feature.

Like Tere Pile likes this
Tere Pile May 21, 2024

Very much needed as an admin, it helps, now hopefully I can get teams to do a bit of house cleaning!! 

Now if we could just change the space owner :) 

John Hooper
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2024

Thanks for the feedback, @Zim _Andrew Zimmerman_ __Appfire__@Steve Rhodes, and @Tere Pile!

Certainly makes sense for on both items - having the same info for each space per content item, and assignable space owners - and it's really helpful to hear how those enhancements would support your work.

We're actively exploring both items now, and your feedback helps for building our case for implementing them. Please let me know (here, via call, whatever works) if there's any other context about them that would be helpful for my team to know!

Like # people like this
Tere Pile May 21, 2024

1 - change owner use case:  Of the active global spaces (which is only 1/3 of total spaces) quite a few  were created by a now unlicensed user (age of site plays into this).  Also w/migrations (vendors or company consolidations) the volume of dead spaces or unlicensed users will likely grow.  

2 - Personal spaces created by default, 2/3 of our volume only 1/4 actually seem to use the space.  So the immediate benefit from this report is Default is now off.  It's not a space issue just a clutter issue.  Game changer here would be ability better manage Archive/Trash from admin screen vs. space settings 

3 - Use case on the attachment could be numerous!  Space/Ownership - ability to Consolidate/Move and or move to off line storage if needed (not necessary for me today but you never know) 

Report for now is helping, i'm going to focus on some clean up and permissions review (in my spare time) 

Like # people like this
John Hooper
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2024

Awesome, thank you @Tere Pile ! Super helpful! Appreciate all of that context

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Doug Levitt May 21, 2024

This is a nice enhancement.

Yet, it also demonstrates what a rat's nest Confluence can become especially with personal spaces.  There should be an option that, when users are deleted (or their access is removed) to consolidate their personal space into a 'master' trash space (effectively, a container of similar spaces).

Confluence can be a great tool, when actively managed/curated by a diligent individual/team.  But it's way too easy for it to become yet another collection of junk.

Thanks.

Doug

John Hooper
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2024

Thank you, @Doug Levitt ! Totally makes sense, and that's really helpful feedback.

Good news! With the new deactivated owners branch we're releasing next week and the existing archive space action, this will shortly be possible via automation! CC @Avinoam 

We'll also keep this in mind as a key piece of space management with our investments in that area going forward

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2024

Much like my colleagues who have already posted, I find this report invaluable. I downloaded mine after reading this post and was able to delete over 30 personal spaces of unlicensed users, which cleans up the Space search for everyone. I have kept about a dozen personal spaces that have content in them and I'm consolidating the content from those spaces into a Deleted Users space so the managers can comb through the content to determine whether the pages should be moved into a public space or archived. I have also turned off Personal Spaces as the default option for Confluence Users seeing the usage data on them.

Looking forward to more insights from the reporting to help manage Confluence Spaces.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events