Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing User Access! Where admins can audit + troubleshoot permissions (all paid editions)

Hi Confluence admins,

John here with another update: we've released the new User Access feature to customers on our Standard, Premium, and Enterprise editions!

This is a new location where admins are able to download a CSV that lists all of the spaces that a selected user or group has access to, as well as if they have admin permissions for each respective space

Customers on our Premium and Enterprise plans will also be able to leverage the existing Inspect Permissions functionality in a new, centralized location here to further help with troubleshooting any permissions questions.  

UA hero.png

How to use it

First, navigate to the Confluence administration page but clicking on the gear icon in the right side of the top nav to reach the Confluence administration area:

top nav entry.png

Next, click on the User Access item in the side nav, and you'll land in the feature where you can select which user or group you'd like to review the permissions of:

UA land.png

Once you've entered the user or group that you're interested in, you can then download a CSV that contains records for each space that the user / group has access to:

UA download.png

Also, customers on the Premium or Enterprise edition of Confluence can review whether the user / group has access to a specific piece of content as an editor, commentor, or viewer, plus the various levels of permissions that are responsible for their current access or lack thereof: 

UA IP.png

FAQs

What information is in the report?

The report includes:

- metadata for each space (ID, name, key, type, status)

- the user / group's access level: the values for this column are 'admin' and 'user'. The 'admin' value represents if the user / group has admin permissions for this space. 'user' represents if the user / group has access to the space but does not have admin permissions for it.

And then only when a user (so not a group) has been selected: 

- what access level has the user been granted as an individual user for each space

- what access level has the user been granted via the groups that they're a part of for each space

What Confluence editions have access to this feature?

Customers on Confluence's Standard, Premium, and Enterprise editions all have access to this new feature. The lower component of it, the ability to inspect permissions of a specific piece of content, is only available to customers on Confluence Premium or Enterprise

Does this feature allow me to see access to spaces / content items that I don't have access to (along the lines of the Admin Key feature)?

It does not. The feature currently only includes information about entities that you as a user already have access to. However, we are continuing to evaluate whether all spaces and content items should be included in the information, so please let us know if you have a preference here either way.

When can I start using this update?

The rollout of the feature has been completed, and it's available to be used now!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or feedback with comments here or by scheduling time to chat with me here

2 comments

Comment

Rita Nygren October 10, 2024

I was excited, then I saw it was not actually giving us aggregate space permissions, just if someone was a user or admin.  Will watch for future updates, heading in the right direction.

Justin Deutsch October 10, 2024

As an administrator investigating why a user doesn't have access to something, this functionality is a great addition!

Please add the ability (possibly as a separate permission) for a user to be granted access to use this feature to check any page, even if they don't have access to the page itself. Granting this type of access isn't really any different than having admin privileges and being able to review the restricted access content, it would just make finding the information for a particular user or group much simpler!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events