Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

📣 Beta: Folders in Confluence!

👋 Hi Confluence Community,

We’re super excited to announce that we’ve started our beta rollout for one of the top-requested features in Confluence, 🗂️ Folders!

We're starting with a limited release to a set of customers in order to get feedback on key user journeys and iron out any wrinkles. However, if you're an admin for your Confluence instance and want to enroll in the folders beta, then please fill out this form.

Here's a quick demo of how folders will work:

2024-07-15_15-15-15 (1).gif

Folders FAQ

Can I still use parent pages?

Yes! Folders are purely additive — nothing will change about your ability to create parent pages.

How are folders and parent pages different?

A folder is a simpler kind of container — it’s just a place to store your content. In contrast, a parent page is a container with a “Read Me” built into the container itself. Use a parent page when you want to provide additional information or context on what’s inside the container. Use a folder when you simply want to group similar content.

When should I use folders?

Using a folder likely makes more sense than a parent page when you need a simple container to organize related content. In other words, if you would have created a blank parent page or a parent page with only the Child Pages macro, then a folder likely makes more sense.

Based on customer feedback over time, parent pages seem most useful in traditional knowledge base / wiki spaces, whereas folders seem more useful in project, team, collaborative, or hybrid use-cases.

Try folders today! Beta sign-up process

You and your team can sign up NOW to try out folders. All Free, Standard, Premium, and Enterprise customers are welcome to sign up for this beta. 

In order to participate in this beta, you’ll need someone in an administrative role at the site or organization level to sign up. Interested in the beta but not an admin? Message your admin to sign up!

1. Step 1: Admins can sign up here.

2. Step 2: You will receive an email from us confirming that you’ve been enrolled.

3. Step 3: Join the beta community group

4. Step 4: You're good to go!

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

Ned, on behalf of the Confluence team

9 comments

Comment

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2024

Signed up - thank you!

Like Ned Lindau likes this
Clare Lawson July 15, 2024

I am excited.  Signed up.  Can we see a pic while we wait in anticipation?

Ned Lindau
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2024

@Clare Lawson added a gif to the original post. Great call!

Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2024

Signed up

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2024

Signed up! Thank you

Like # people like this
Balázs Szakál _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 15, 2024

Great news! There have been some nice new content types recently.

How about adding API support for them? Currently, the API only supports pages, no whiteboard, no folder, and no smart link. Please consider implementing these into a non-deprecated API instead of the v1 one.

Also, folders should have a customizable home page!

Like # people like this
Andrei Pisklenov _Actonic_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 17, 2024

The solution appears surprising and non-intuitive. The existing implementation already includes "folders" named "Parent Pages" that enable grouping of content under the same topic.

Users can organize pages within a parent page, which displays some content. However, there's a folder that doesn't show any content itself. Instead, users need to open it first before selecting pages to view.

What are the advantages of using folders for users?

Like # people like this
Mirthe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 18, 2024

Nice feature.

However when I rightclick the folder and use 'Copy link', the link refers to a 404 page.

Like Amanda Barber likes this
eric_gagnon_banq July 18, 2024

I was surprised when our users reported me that we had the fonctionnality already without an admin action.

Is it explained by the use of continuous release track?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events