Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Make Someone a "Basic User" on Compass?

Erick Armes October 25, 2023

I consider myself fairly savvy as an admin across multiple Atlassian cloud products for my org...but I'm lost when it comes to granting folks permission to be a "Basic User" for Compass.  I've reviewed the help documentation, but I'm not seeing anything that helps.  Right now, we have two groups with product access: users and admins (the latter is also designated with Adminstration access to Compass).  I assume these correspond with "Full user" and "Product admin," per https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/compass/getting-started/understand-user-roles-in-Compass/.  It's also probably worth noting that we are on "Beta"

UPDATE:

Got a response from Support that's probably worth passing along to others who might stumble on this post:

We don’t currently have the ability to have Basic users as beta participants.  As part of the beta program, until March 31st 2024 we are using the product for free with the ability to add all users as “Full Users” with no charges. Following this date, we would be transitioned to a standard account, granting us the flexibility to categorize users as either Basic users or Full users.  We would have to leave beta early to check out Basic users.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rabia sial
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 26, 2023

A "Basic User" typically has read-only access to Compass, meaning they can view and navigate the information but may not have the ability to make changes or configurations. To grant someone "Basic User" access, you would usually add them to the appropriate group or role in Compass, if such roles or groups exist. In the case of Compass beta, you might want to check if they've introduced specific roles or groups for this purpose.

Since Compass is still in beta, the specific details of how to set these roles and permissions may not be as well-documented as more mature Atlassian products. I would recommend reaching out to Atlassian's support or consulting their official documentation for Compass to get the most up-to-date and accurate information on setting user roles and permissions.

Erick Armes October 26, 2023

Yeah, probably makes sense to just open a ticket with support.  I'm betting the 'beta' variable complicates things.

Like J Conners likes this
0 votes
Phill Pafford November 21, 2023

I'm still not seeing how to do this and it's officially GA now, where in the docs can I do this?

Phill Pafford November 21, 2023

I think I found it, you need to navigate to each user, then set the level

Martin Cassidy December 1, 2023

How did you manage this @Phill Pafford ? I only see the on/off button for compass, no option to set the type.

I am an org admin, but I still don't see any option to add basic users. With product access, I have the options for "product access" and "administration access". Admin is of course for admins, but "product access" seems to be for full users as far as I can tell.

Phill Pafford December 1, 2023

I think this was where, it's strange as I cant find the setting again

Unfortunately not, that just seems to list users who currently have access to compass, and the option to invite new users only has compass as a tick box - no user type. Editing an existing user just seems to have a compass on/off option, with no ability to set what kind of user they would be.

Erick Armes December 1, 2023

@Martin Cassidy - we needed to have our Jira cloud instance migrated to the new admin experience in order to unlock this functionality.  

@Erick Armesiiiinteresting, thanks, will have a look at that.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events