Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create an API catalog in Compass

Tongyu.Wang September 18, 2023

We are experimenting with Compass as a potential implementation of our internal developer portal. One feature we have urgent need is to create an internal API catalog. While we can create a component catalog in Compass of various types and add "other link" to API specs, API is not one of the native types supported. As we are putting stronger emphasis on "API First", we'd like to treat API specs as first class artifacts. A few questions for the product team and the community:

- What's the best practice to create such a catalog in Compass? Should we use Service, Capability, or other types? Should we use labels?

- Is there plan to add API as a native component type in the future?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 vote
Pavel Shkleinik
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2023

I'm not sure that there is a best practice, but my gut filling is that Service would be the closest to API type atm. Also there is Swagger UI Forge App (https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/compass/integrations/integrate-Compass-with-Swagger-UI/) that can render your API spec in human friendly way.

Tongyu.Wang September 25, 2023

Yes I agree that Service + labels is probably the best we can do to create an API catalog based on the current product capabilities, but also curious if the product team has any plan for API catalog as a first class feature.

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
0 votes
Tongyu.Wang September 20, 2023

I think that could be made to work with links to api specs and an agreed upon label so people can run a component search to see a list of components with apis, but that feels more like a workaround than an intentional feature. My preference would be that API is treated as a first class component type and maybe even with its own dashboard, something similar to Backstage.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events