Markdown support

John McCall May 18, 2023

It would be great if Markdown was supported for the description (and any similarly large/open-ended) fields for components. Even better would be able to point to a markdown file in the repository and have that rendered from the config-as-code file.

This would make it really easy to add as much custom unstructured data as needed for components that are big and involve a lot of complexity or need extra context.

> Why would you need to display the markdown in Compass if its already in your source control, John?

I think a lot of the value add of this tool is making technical-adjacent information accessible to non-technical users. So while I personally may want to view markdown content in our repository, some users may not have access or even an account at all due to their job role.

Lastly, if the Markdown also supported https://mermaid.js.org/ like GitHub and GitLab do, that would be awesome to further increase the possibilities for unstructured information.

3 comments

shall May 18, 2023

I like the possibilities that this would open up. Like being able to present our software release notes saved as md files in our repositories directly to Compass.

Like Daniel Zimmermann likes this
Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2023

I like this idea very much. And while I so far more thought of just having editor features the Atlassian way (Jira, Confluence rich editor), I have to admit that markdown support certainly matches Compass' concepts much more, in terms of "open, not locked in" strategy.

Like # people like this
James.Crowe May 26, 2023

I really like the idea of mark-down and mermaid support.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events