Keen to understand current level of integration with JSM & future roadmap

Chrissy Clements October 25, 2022

We're currently implementing JSM and using Assets & Services. 

For our CI, we've taken the Services route rather than creating a technical services schema with objects to leverage service reporting, MIM & change enablement.

This approach leaves a bit of a gap in our needs. 

I've read a few posts about upcoming Opsgenie & JSM integration.  I'm keen to learn more about this roadmap.  Specifically:

• the ability to see a more holistic view of our business services portfolio
  • adding core metadata to services and surfacing this in JSM/Assets/Services
  • mapping Compass data to KB to surface help documentation

We're a bit of a hybrid team, so I'm looking to eat the cake too :)

1 comment

Taylor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2022

Hi @Chrissy Clements Thanks for the question here!

I can't speak to the Opsgenie & JSM team's roadmaps, so if you are looking for more information there I would advise you check out their community group and/or raise a support ticket.

For the Compass integrations with JSM and Opsgenie, I can give some clarity.

Compass is focussed on helping companies build a world-class developer experience internally so they are happy, productive, and creative. As part of this, we start with a software component catalog to track all of the different pieces of software they are building and operating. You can then add tons of information about them, assign ownership, and apply a layer of governance across the top with scorecards to keep your software components healthy, secure, and compliant at all times!

For Opsgenie, we just released the first iteration of our integration and it helps you do a few things. For a given microservice being tracked in Compass, you can see the on-call schedule, escalation policy, and all active incidents coming from Opsgenie of which we then auto-calculate MTTR (Mean Time to Resolution) based on the incident event data.

You can then use this MTTR metric to create search queries or policies like "Give me all the services that have < 6 hour MTTR across my company" or see "what is the average MTTR across my services?" Things like that.

For the JSM integration - we need to circle back and sync this information with JSM Insight as well as add Compass information as part of the 'affected service' field so that during an incident you have all of the information being tracked in Compass in-context of resolving that incident. 

Lastly, to your specific points

the ability to see a more holistic view of our business services portfolio

• Not sure what you are referring to. Compass let's you store all different types of software components and the information/meta-data about them so your developers have everything they need at their fingertips.

adding core metadata to services and surfacing this in JSM/Assets/Services

• Yes, this is on our roadmap. Although we have found the persona's using JSM Insight for asset management are typically quite different than the developers/DevOps/SREs we are seeing adopt Compass. We do need to sync core pieces of data about the service (name, owning team, division, etc.) into JSM Insight so teams who want to use that tool can leverage the use cases there. It will likely be a 2-way sync so we have a single representation of 'service' across Atlassian, which we have heard loud and clear from customers that is what they want.

mapping Compass data to KB to surface help documentation

1. So, we do already map to Confluence pages. We also have a 'smart link' where if you paste the URL of a Compass component into Confluence, it will render more details about that component. We see customers using the documentation links for runbooks, technical diagrams, HOW-TOs, and all kinds of relevant pieces of data to better understand how to build or operate a given component.
  2. If you are referring to something else like an integration with another KB, let me know!

I would love to talk to you in more depth about this if you are open to a short conversation? Just grab a time here: https://calendly.com/tpechacek/compass

Cheers!

Like Chrissy Clements likes this
Taylor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2022

Also, if you can add here, I'd love to get a bit more details on what you mean by "This approach leaves a bit of a gap in our needs."

What are you trying to achieve? What have you setup today and what is breaking down?

Like Chrissy Clements likes this
Chrissy Clements October 30, 2022

Thanks, Taylor.  I'm keen for a catch-up; let me see if one of our architects is eager to jump into this too.  It's new exciting territory for the team.

We have set up Asset with a business services schema containing our business services in the end-user context.  We then have Object Types to represent the systems, classifications etc., and then we pull in our technical services from Opsgenie. 

From an architecture and engineering perspective, we think Compass can help us with team-level management, dashboards, doccos, feature flags, APIs, libraries etc.

The gap will be bringing this all together for Global IT Operations.  Some of these services will transition to support; some will not.  We want to ensure both sides of the fence have visibility and transparency over our ecosystem.

Like Andrew Freedman likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events