Feedback after starting to onboard Compass

Dan G July 22, 2022
  1. Thanks for adding custom fields.  They aren’t searchable yet.
  2. Custom fields are still a bit limited, for example we wanted to use it to identify the individual named owners of the component (we also have maintenance teams), but it’s basically a free text field so no way to choose a pulldown of users.
  3. I like being able to commit the yaml file, but considering that the file contains some very long strings that seem unique (the arn stuff), I don’t know how a dev would be able to easily create such a file without first having seeded the component.  Is there an IDE extension that could help with the yaml syntax?
  4. It would be nice to tie related issues via a query, instead of just component on one project.   I haven’t fully checked how the component linking works, but if it’s just one project, it wouldn’t work for us since we do development on components in many projects (our jira projects are actually based on project teams, not evergreen projects for a component)

2 comments

Andrew Freedman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2022

G'day Dan — a Monday morning gift of numbered feedback! I love it! :D

1. We're in the middle of adding custom fields to scorecard criteria right now, after that we'll be adding them to our fuzzy search. We also plan to add them to our "advanced search" in the near future.
  2. Yes, we chose the most flexible custom field "types" to start with. We'd like to add in Identity principals (user/group/team) as a new type in the future which would allow the kind of selection experience you're describing. I'll add your feedback to that piece of work — it's always helpful to know that customers see a use for our ideas.
  3. You're right and we agree, there's work to do on our config-as-code story. An IDE extension might be an interesting approach; our initial thinking has focussed on user readable keys, but this one is further down the priority list. Let us know if you feel it's a more important/urgent feature — we'd love to hear more.
  4. By query, I take it you mean Jira's saved JQL filters? It's definitely a powerful option — I'll pass on the feedback to the right person.

— Andrew

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Dan G July 24, 2022

2. Thanks. I'll let our devs play with the config-as-code a bit more and provide feedback.

4. Yep, or even just typing in a JQL and then saving it without having to create a new filter.  Either way is fine. 

Like Andrew Freedman likes this
Taylor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2022

Hey @Dan G @Leonard M I hope you are both doing well. I wanted to follow up on #4 with Jira Software.

Short answer: You can use JQL with the component field as you would any other field, which cuts across projects. So "all issues with component 'auth-srv' AND status 'to do'" could be a query to track technical debt across various software components being tracked in Compass.

Ok, so couple of caveats

1. The component field in Jira Software has been around for a long time and is a system field. People use it in all kinds of ways, typically some form of grouping, but what those 'components' represent varies widely.
  2. Each set of 'component' values are set on a per-project basis. So not global, which is annoying. The JQL is matching on name, in my images you literally have to create 'auth-srv' as a component value in project TZ and LAQ.
  3. The Compass + Jira Software integration does not currently sync Compass components automagically into JSW and vice versa. 

Long-term we plan to fix all of this by making the native component field be used specifically for Compass and tracking technical architecture, which can then be used to map work <-> architecture <-> teams very easily with all the power of JQL and Jira behind it as well as all the new Compass search, dashboards, & reporting - eventually having it's own JQL equivalent.

We are currently working on improving our Jira Software integration by creating our own custom field, that will automatically populate the Compass components as the available options when selecting values on a Jira issue. You can then use this custom field in JQL as you would expect. This is blocked by some internal dependencies we hope to get removed soon.

You can read more about that here. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Compass-Alpha-articles/POSTPONED-A-brand-new-way-to-track-Jira-issues-against-Compass/ba-p/2096414.

Hope that adds a bit more context for how we expect teams to use JSW + Compass together, which I believe aligns with how you will want to use it.

Taylor
Atlassian Team
August 22, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 9.36.37 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-22 at 9.36.43 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-22 at 9.36.48 pm.png

Neelam Shetye
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2022

Hi @Dan G 

Thanks once again for the feedback - like Andrew said, a Monday morning gift indeed!

We’re currently running research looking at the admin onboarding experience on Compass.

Would you or someone in your organisation be willing to share your experience with us? It will be a 45 min call on Zoom.

Please pick a time that works well for you - https://calendly.com/atlassianresearch/compass?month=2022-07

If the time slots don’t work, let me know and I can find another time that suits better.

Cheers, 
Neelam 

Dan G July 24, 2022

Yes, let me pass this to the person running most of this now, he'll get more feedback over the next 1 to 2 weeks, then I think it's  a good time to schedule.

Like Neelam Shetye likes this
Neelam Shetye
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2022

That would be amazing, thank you. I'll add more time slots in there for the next couple of weeks for them to book in.

Leonard M July 28, 2022

Hi Neelam,

I am helping Dan G with the process of onboarding Compass. We should need another week to get all our feedback together. Once completed I will let you know.

Thanks

Leonard M

Like Neelam Shetye likes this
Neelam Shetye
Atlassian Team
August 2, 2022

Hi @Leonard M 

Thanks so much for the heads-up. I look forward to speaking with you and getting your feedback. 

Cheers,
Neelam

Leonard M August 8, 2022

Hello Neelam,

I am trying to add more feedback but I am getting the below error.

You may have recently posted the same thing elsewhere on the community. Update your text, or wait before reposting.

I have tried to wait and change the text, but nothing seems to help.

Leonard

Neelam Shetye
Atlassian Team
August 8, 2022

Hi @Leonard M

Sorry, you had that issue. Thanks for letting us know. I checked with the team, it could be because the message is longer than the allowed character limit. 

We could do one of these three things: 

• You could try posting the feedback as multiple, shorter messages here on community
  • Or you could use the "Give feedback" button at the top of your Compass screen. 
  • Or we could go through your feedback on a quick Zoom call. I would love the opportunity to hear about you what you need from Compass to best fit your organisation.
    I've put some time slots here, if that works for you - Chat about Compass 

Thanks again for taking the time to thoughtfully write up your feedback. I'm looking forward to it. 

Neelam

Leonard M August 8, 2022

Thanks for coming back to me, I tried splitting the feedback but I received the same error message.

So I have booked a zoom call with you.

Speak soon.

Leonard

Neelam Shetye
Atlassian Team
August 8, 2022

Oh no, I thought that would work. I'll check in with the community team again, it could be a different issue altogether. 
Glad you booked some time, thank you for doing this. 

Looking forward to the call!
Neelam

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events