Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improved Jira integration + a sneak peek at what’s next with Compass and JSW

New and improved UI to view Jira Issues in Compass

Thanks for trying out the Compass integration with Jira and sending us your feedback! After hearing from many of you, we’ve made some big improvements to the UI, with even bigger changes on the horizon.

To start, we’ve redesigned the Jira Issues tab on your Compass component. We’ve removed the requirement that your issue is linked to an epic, and added useful filtering and sorting capabilities.

Jira issues-1_1.png

Today, you can set this up by following these steps (which haven’t changed from the last version):

1. Link a Jira project to your Component on the “Overview” tab.

2. Create a Component in Jira matching the exact name of your Component in Compass.*

3. Tag issues with that Jira Component, and voila - they will appear on the Jira issues tab in Compass :star:

* The Components field is only available in Company-Managed Jira projects.

What’s next?

We envision Compass and Jira working together seamlessly to help you track development effort against the components of your software architecture. To accomplish this, we’re focusing on automation to remove some of those pesky manual setup steps.

We’re building a Forge app that creates a custom field in your Jira Software instance (with your permission, of course.) The field will be automatically kept up to date with your Compass components, and will link back to Compass if your engineers get curious! All you’ll need to do is tag your issues with the right Compass component as part of your normal backlog-grooming process.

Check out some of our designs below, and let us know what you think!

Compass mapping-1_1.png
Compass mapped-1_1.png

On the horizon…

There are plenty of other ideas for this integration that we’re tossing around, including:

• Support for the Compass field in Team-Managed projects (already in the works!)

• Automation templates for Jira x Compass

• Migration helper for moving your current mapping into the custom field

• Compass Metrics based on your Jira effort towards a given component

Tell us what you think of these, or give us your own ideas in the comments! You can also set up time with myself or one of our other PMs through Calendly. Hope to hear from you soon.

12 comments

Michal Kozlowski November 22, 2022

Hi Atlassian, any plans to release that feature of connecting Jira and Compass?

Like Katie Silver likes this
Katie Silver
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2022

Hi @Michal Kozlowski , we're planning to release it before the end of the year! I'll post in the community as soon as it's live :) 

Like Michal Kozlowski likes this
Michal Kozlowski November 22, 2022

Great to hear that! We will test it right after your release.

Michal Kozlowski December 15, 2022

Hi Katie, any updates from your side?

Katie Silver
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2022

@Michal Kozlowski we'll have some news for you on Monday :) thanks so much for sticking with me on this!!!

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Katie Silver
Atlassian Team
December 19, 2022

Hi @Michal Kozlowski - the Jira Software x Compass app is now available for all Jira Software users. Check out this blog for more details:  NOW AVAILABLE as of December 19th: A brand new way to track Jira issues against Compass components. Thanks again for checking in with us!!

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Michal Kozlowski February 3, 2023

Hi Katie,

Do you have plans to make this link between Jira and Compass as 1 to MANY?

We see cases where it would be useful for us to connect one Jira issue (let's say a bug or a task connected to some audit process) with many Compass's components.

Like # people like this
Katie Silver
Atlassian Team
February 3, 2023

Hi @Michal Kozlowski ! 

Yes, we're definitely planning to look into multi-select. I'm not sure of the timeline yet, but I can confirm it's on our anticipated roadmap for how we expand this feature. Thanks for the idea - if you have more, just send them my way :) 

Like Michal Kozlowski likes this
Rafał Mnich June 14, 2023

What about deploy events from jira? Will they also be visible in compass? Or how can I configure it right now?

Katie Silver
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2023

hi @Rafał Mnich great question. 

If you are using Bitbucket or Github for CI/CD then all the deployments will automatically show up in Compass once you have the correct app installed. Jira listens to those same events if you are using the SCM features. 

Is this what you're referring to, or are you talking about events generated by Jira itself?

Rafał Mnich June 14, 2023

Not really. What I was trying to achieve is integration with Jenkins. But I’ve found one between Jenkins and Jira. I thought it will forward the deployment events that I send there. So it looks like I need to use Compass rest API directly?

Katie Silver
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2023

Got it. Yup, right now the API is your best bet. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events