Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem uploading swagger/openapi file

Jack Cox April 21, 2022

I've got a component defined and I'm trying to upload an openapi 3.0 spec file but things aren't working as expected. Here's what's going on:

1) If I drag and drop the openapi json file, things work as expected.

2) If I use the curl command to upload the file it only seems to work if there is no openapi spec already in place for that component.

3) If I upload a openapi spec via curl and there is already a spec in place I get a message that the upload was successful, but then any spec disappears from the Compass site. If I try to upload a 2nd time, it sometimes appears in Compass but usually does not. 

This behavior make integration with my CI/CD pipeline (github actions) basically impossible. 

2 answers

1 vote
Matt Boulton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2022

@Jack Cox @[deleted] we've made some performance improvements to the Swagger UI app that should resolve this issue you're having. Just note that you'll need to upgrade the Swagger UI app on the Apps page in Compass, and then re-upload your Swagger files to your components.

If you still have this issue, or any other feedback about the app upgrade, let us know! Many thanks for your patience here.

(We're also working on improving the usability of the app, too. Keep an eye out for news on that soon.)

Cheers!

David Harper October 3, 2022

Hi @Matt Boulton , 

That looks like it is working now! Many thanks for your help on rebuilding that component; having all the Swagger in one place instead of having to deploy a developer portal is a really handy part of Compass.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Moinul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2022

Hi Jack, Sorry for the late reply. I'm with the compass engineering team. When you upload via the webhook

1. it sometimes appears in Compass but usually does not -> Do you still see the older version of the swagger file or it just disappears completely?

2. How often are you running those actions? I'm suspecting you might be getting rate limited by forge.

I'll report this issue in the backlog and will try to reproduce the issue locally.

Jack Cox April 25, 2022

1) The older version goes away and there is no swagger there at all.

2) Initially I did run them fairly quickly back to back, but I tried again over the weekend, after many hours of idleness, and it still did nothing.

In all cases I get a positive response from the webhook that the swagger was accepted.  

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Moinul
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2022

Hi Jack thanks for the reply. I think we may have identified the problem. Could you tell us the size of the file you were trying to upload?

Like Katie Silver likes this
Jack Cox May 6, 2022

The size of the file is 214004 bytes. 

jack

Moinul
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2022

Hi Jack, I have filed a bug with the team for further investigation. We will post an update once we figure out a solution. Thanks!

David Harper May 10, 2022

Hi @Moinul ,

If it's any help, we're noticing this too. A 41KB swagger file trying to upload via cURL.

The response says 

{"message":"Successfully saved the swagger file"}%

and it appears in Compass for ~5 seconds before disappearing again and reverting back to the "We couldn't find a Swagger spec for this service" page.

The Swagger file is version "2.0" and is generated via

Microsoft.Azure.Functions.Worker.Extensions.OpenApi:1.2.0

in a C# project.

Like Katie Silver likes this
Katie Silver
Atlassian Team
May 11, 2022

Thanks so much for this detail @David Harper and @Jack Cox . I'm the PM on Moinul's team. Mo and the squad originally built this as an innovation week project, so it makes sense we've hit some limitations now, but it's clearly useful, and we're glad it's gotten so much interest! 

We're planning on investing some more focus on our roadmap to the Swagger app in the coming months to make it more stable and to add some additional functionality. Please keep adding feedback and I'll be in touch as soon as we have an update. 

Jack Cox May 12, 2022

@Katie Silver and @Moinul Thanks for the feature. I think it has great potential, along with all of Compass.

From using it a bit I think some features that would be valuable for the Swagger integration:

1) Multiple swagger files. Not only because some services have multiple APIs, but because we have services running in different regions (prod, staging, dev, sandbox) with slightly different APIs.

2) A direct link on the component dashboard to the swagger(s) for that component.

There are other features that would be really valuable outside of swagger, but since this is a swagger thread I just included those.

Jack

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events