Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Jira API and Compass Custom Field

Robert Noble April 18, 2023

Hi All,

I opened a Customer Support ticket and they pointed me to here. We have data from Jira API flowing into our BI system. Recently our team came across this error regarding the Compass custom field in Jira (customfield_11349).

URI: /rest/api/3/field/

Error Message Given: the Schema field has invalid value in it

Value: {"configuration":{"com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:atlassian-team":null,"customRenderer":true,"environment":"PRODUCTION","readOnly":false},"custom":"ari:cloud:ecosystem::extension/{}/{}/static/compass-jira-integration-custom-field","customId":11349,"items":null,"system":null,"type":"string"}

To be clear, we do not use Compass nor have the field configured to any screen in Jira. Our goal is to have some code into our BI system to prevent this error from impacting our data load.

Can you please advise on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

2 comments

Pavel Shkleinik
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Robert Noble,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the inconvenience. I've just routed your request proper team. We'll get back to you as soon as we hear from them.

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Mikhail Bogdanov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2023

Hi @Robert Noble,

Please tell me when you see that error message (which API call precisely and what is the response status code).

Can you provide me with the contents of`x-arequestid` and `atl-traceid` HTTP response headers of a request?

Also:

- can you reproduce this error right now?

- when was the first time you encountered this problem?

Robert Noble April 20, 2023

Hi @Mikhail Bogdanov

Per our team:

Here is the screenshot of the error message. The column name is not accepted in our table.

error_jira_api.png

Please tell me when you see that error message (which API call precisely and what is the response status code).

https://pmvscentral.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/field/search?maxResults=100&startAt={startAt}

Can you provide me with the contents of`x-arequestid` and `atl-traceid` HTTP response headers of a request?

We didn’t get error when calling the API. After our code calling API, the data was not in the correct format. I have attached the dataset we received from that API that cause the error.

Also:

- can you reproduce this error right now? – Yes we can reproduce this error now.

- when was the first time you encountered this problem? – We started to get this error on April 11th.

Robert Noble April 27, 2023
Pavel Shkleinik
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2023

Hi @Robert Noble

Thank you for looping back!

If I understand setup correctly, the flow is following:

1. Something or somebody is fetching list of fields from Jira using https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issue-fields/#api-rest-api-3-field-search-get endpoint << no error here

2. The fields retrieved from the step #1 are fed to some 3rd party system << error happens here

The 3rd party system is not happy with the schema format (likely with the `custom` field since its value contains `:`). I don't see our documentation describing any formatting restrictions for the `custom` field:

image.png

I can see couple ways out of it:

- try to reach out 3rd party app support and negotiate updating schema validation rules

- consider removing offending field from the fields array before passing it to the 3rd party app

I doubt that we can change field's metadata on our side since chances are that number of internal systems and external customers are already relying on this value. On the positive note, we are actively working on replacing this field developed with https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/forge/manifest-reference/modules/jira-custom-field/ with native Jira field that will have metadata formatted as all other fields.

Robert Noble April 27, 2023

Hi Pavel,

Correct. The data is loaded into our datalake (I am not privy to the whole process though I do know it will end up in Azure Data Bricks at the end) where we get that error. However, our other custom fields have ":" in them without issue.

e.g.: {"configuration":null,"custom":"com.atlassian.jpo:jpo-custom-field-baseline-start","customId":11236,"items":null,"system":null,"type":"date"}

Also, the issue only appeared starting April 11th, 2023. We have been fetching this information for at least 2 years, so it seems strange that all of a sudden it is throwing an error. While it could be a 3rd party change, was there any change on the Jira side on how that field was rendered?

Chris Francuz
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2023

Hi @Robert Noble 

We have recently started populating the "configuration" element to one of the fields in Jira. You can see the "configuration" element already exists in the REST API schema that @Pavel Shkleinik shared above.

Is it the presence of this element that is causing the client code to fail?

It so, the client code should be able to handle this and ignore that element if that is not of interest to the consumer.

Robert Noble April 28, 2023

Hi Team,

Thanks for the update, speaking with our team they will change the code and avoid the data from the loading.

Thanks for all the help!

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events