Create
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Atlassian Stephen Sifers shares his banana bread recipe šŸž and what makes a successful team

We're rounding out our week of recipe inspration from Atlassians with @Stephen Sifers, who shares the banana bread recipe he's perfected, what he likes about baking, and what makes a successful team.

Tell us about your role and team at Atlassian! Whatā€™s your favorite Atlassian value?

Iā€™m Stephen Sifers, Community Product Lead. At Atlassian I work as a conduit between Support and Marketing, ensuring weā€™re partnering when possible. Along with working with in leadership and product support teams to get Support into Community and understand the inā€™s and outā€™s of our Community.

My favorite value is ā€˜Be The Change You Seekā€™. Knowing itā€™s up to us to break the cycle and create better and more productive ways of doing the same and/or new things. Always knowing itā€™s up to each and every one of us to change the future and advocate for making things better for everyone helps me have a clear goal of why we do the things we do.

We heard you love to bake! How did you start learning, and what do you love most about it?

I do love to bake, and Iā€™ve done it out of a hobby and something enjoyable to do with free time. Taking a recipe, breaking it down and re-creating it to become your own while doing incremental testing to improve it is something I really enjoy. I actually use Confluence to track my recipes to manage my own comments and revert ingredient changes that didnā€™t work out just right.

Baking allows me to plan, create, and enjoy. The best part about it is I have something I can readily and easily share with others.

Do you have a favorite recipe that youā€™d like to share?

I have a banana bread recipe that took years to perfect and I think Iā€™m as close as I can getā€¦..for now. Enjoy the recipe, and Iā€™ll look forward to seeing and hearing how the results turned out.

bread.jpg

That banana bread though

Ingredients

• 4 overripe Bananas (I leave my ripe bananas in the freezer)

• 2 2/3 cup flour

• 1 tbsp Almond Extract

• Food Allergy; Replace with Vanilla

• 1 tbsp Cinnamon (Optional)

• 2 cups brown sugar

• 2 tsp baking soda

• 8 oz Sour Cream, The secret ingredient

• 1/2 tsp salt

• 1 stick butter

• 2 large eggs

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 f / 150c

2. Mix everything together

1. (If you donā€™t have a 4.5 quart mixer; Use a potato masher to mix everything, leaving it a little lumpy)

3. Fill a bread medium bread pan to half.

1. Ensure the batter stays cold (Since youā€™re using frozen bananas).

4. Bake until golden brown and crust cracks.

1. Half Loaf; Normally about 45 minutes.

2. Full loaf; Normally about 60 minutes.

5. Stick with a toothpick to ensure cooked all the way.

What kind of kitchen collaborator are you?

With any recipe, Iā€™m always looking for feedback and ways to improve. I really enjoy cooking/baking and understanding how the textures, smells and tastes, and presentations are interpreted by others to learn the most to improve.

Being able to show take a decent recipe and make it amazing from someone's feedback and then sharing the results with that person really makes the whole process worth it. Pro Tip; this applies to all aspects of life.

Whatā€™s a go-to ā€œingredientā€ or quality that successful teams have?

Being open to change and new perspectives is the go-to ingredient to the best teams. If there is one thing Iā€™ve seen from successful teams itā€™s how receptive, responsive, and adaptive theyā€™ve been to feedback and new ideas. A team that can trust and build one another is capable of creating the most amazing outcomes.

But just like a recipe, this requires you to have quality ingredients that compliment and contrast one another to bring out the best parts of each other.

Having a team of just salt will taste, well, salty. But having a bit of salt, water, sugar, yeast, and flour youā€™ll have basics needed to make a Loafā€™ly team. Combined them with another team of Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Bacon; then youā€™ll have an unstoppable BLT. dad jokes

Thanks, Stephen! Don't forget to get your Great Atlassian Bake Off submissions in, and check out all the fun using #atlassian-bake-off.

2 comments

Comment

PatrĆ­cia Fortunato Montenegro December 9, 2021

That's nice; I love Banana Bread!

Tasty and nourishing šŸ˜ƒ !

Thanks for sharing, Stephen and @Sharon Tan !!

Like ā€¢ Stephen Sifers likes this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2021

I love banana bread! This looks amazing :)

Like ā€¢ Stephen Sifers likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events