Atlassian is rolling out a new billing engine for cloud

We’ve officially started rolling out a brand new billing engine for Atlassian Cloud products that will eventually replace the system that handles your billing and invoicing needs today.

A billing engine built entirely for you.

The new cloud billing engine improves how you interact with billing and subscription management at Atlassian. Admins will now have access to a refreshed interface that unifies the management of cloud subscriptions, billing and invoicing across all Atlassian’s cloud products, while also introducing a new invoicing model, giving you enhanced flexibility to group and pay for sites in the way that best suits your business needs.

It’s unified.

The new cloud billing engine is currently active, and we are using a phased two-pronged approach that we’re rolling out in phases across customers and products. We will alert you when you are ready to be migrated.

NEW BILLING ENGINE READY

Product billing supported: Jira Software, Jira Service Management, Jira Work Management, Confluence, Atlas, Compass, Jira Product Discovery, Marketplace

Cloud editions supported: Free, Standard, Premium.

NEW BILLING ENGINE PENDING

Product billing in the works: Access, Trello, Bitbucket, Jira Align

Cloud editions in the works: Enterprise.

What to expect in the new billing experience

After your site is migrated, you’ll see a few key differences in the experience for all billing and subscription management-related activities.

• A new billing experience within Atlassian administration to:

• View and manage cloud subscriptions

• Add or remove payment methods

• Add or remove billing addresses

• View pricing estimates

• View current and historical invoices

• The ability to manage payments, invoices, and subscriptions under a customer billing account

• A new, expanded “Billing Administrator” superuser role granting full privileges and billing permissions within the account

Please note, this change will not affect your current access to sites, subscription set, or product cost. Additionally, your users' product use will not be interrupted.

Curious about how this change will affect you? Learn more here or reach out to one of our advocates for support.

xo

Elizabeth

10 comments

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2023

Is this information being sent to Atlassian customers by any other means than this post?  Just wondering if I need to let my company know.

Like Tabriz likes this
Elizabeth Miller
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2023

@Dan Breyen emails do go out to customers right before migration which includes similar information. So Admins will be notified when the time comes. 

Jesse Randhawa March 23, 2023

I have recently asked for quotes for my customers and in order to get a quote they must do this cloud to cloud migration which is a massive undertaking for customers with no real benefit from their point of view. I have asked two of my customers to do this, and they would rather not. 

Why would they risk losing their information and having to rebuild it on a new cloud site? The import/export have limitations and the customer will have to build certain processes from scratch. Is there compensation for the customer if they will need to pay for professional services to help them migrate to the "new" cloud site? 

Stéphane Veraart April 5, 2023

"The ability to manage payments, invoices, and subscriptions under a customer billing account"

Hi @Elizabeth Miller

what does the new billing engine actually do and/or add in terms of payment? Other payment options, such as pay on account or will the payment methods stay the same?

Keri Miriello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2023

@Jesse Randhawa cloud migrations (whether from Server or DC to Cloud) is part of a different initiative. I suggest you raise a ticket with our support team, who will be happy to assist and help you and your customers with the issue you've raised here in the comments. 

https://www.atlassian.com/company/contact/purchasing-licensing 

Keri Miriello
Atlassian Team
April 14, 2023

@Stéphane Veraart payment methods do not change in the new billing engine, however the change is more focused on an account-based model vs. site/contact based model. Future state allows our customers to have multiple sites attached to one bill, vs. paying for one site <> one invoice. 

More information and documentation is coming soon. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask here or reach out to support. 

Michael Ziegler May 15, 2023

hello,

i hope "simple" question: how do atlassian count the users during payment period?

e.g. if i add and remove users during this period?

how will they counted? average of the users during the period?

BR

Michael Ziegler

Like Kalin U likes this
J Conners August 5, 2023

This billing engine switch is a nightmare... I have no idea what I'm being billed for before I am billed. I cannot get a clear view from anywhere .. and support responses is ridiculously slow.  This is a big FAIL Atlassian.

Like # people like this
Aaron Jurrens
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2023

I'm getting billed for Jira Product Discovery, but cannot pull invoices for it and there is no clear documentation on how to do so. The closest I get in the Billing section of my site is a 'Next price estimate'. Nothing is listed for JPD at my.atlassian.com.

Fanny Tastet March 7, 2024

Honestly I am usually a big fan of Confluence and I usually see the point of the evolutions, but this one I really don't understand. 

In my job, I have to create some Confluence sites for my customers, copy some stuff on it, and then I ask my customers to delete my account and I let them deal with the site, like upgrade it, pay for it and so on. 

This is an absolute nightmare with this new billing experience... first, when I create a new site, it is added completely randomly to one of my 3 billing accounts (I have no idea why I have 3). Then, if I add my customer as an Admin on his site and ask him to delete my account, well... I am still billing admin for this site, which doesn't make any sense. 

The only way to change that is to go to the right billing account, add this customer as billing admin, and delete myself. But... as I said ealier, I have to create several sites and they are randomly put on one of my 3 billing accounts ^^ so if I change the biling admin, it will be also changed for the other sites that happen to be for actually no reasons in the same billing account :'( 

Very very frustrating... actually asked the support if I can go back to the old way, I know there is no chance, but I am being a bit desperate right now....

Comment

AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events