why does it say invalid username and password when I try to import the repository?

Jaspreet Kaur March 25, 2021

I ma trying to import a repo but it says invalid username and password. please help me resolve it.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2021

Hi @Jaspreet Kaur and welcome to the community.

Are you trying to import a repo to Bitbucket Cloud (https://bitbucket.org/) or to a Bitbucket Server (self-hosted) instance?

The message indicates that authentication does not succeed with the username + password you have provided.

The first thing I would suggest checking is whether you can log in with this username and password to the website of the hosting provider where the repo is hosted now. I would also suggest that you try cloning the repo from your computer/laptop with these credentials and see if this succeeds. This is to double check whether the credentials are correct and if they work when cloning to your local machine.

One possibility that I can think of is that if you have 2FA enabled in the account of the hosting provider where the repo is hosted now, you may need to use something like an app password or access token, instead of the account's password. Can you check whether there is an option to generate something like this, and try using that instead of a password when you import the repo?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events