Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one user cannot receive an invitation email

JJ지우근 September 2, 2021

Hello,

We use Jira & confluence and just added bitbucket cloud.

As an admin, I have invited almost all the users. However, one user: <email_removed> cannot receive an invitation email that I have sent(I resend it multiple times and tried removing it and added him again).

We have checked email log search menu from Google workspace that the email server we use does not show any email history from bitbucket to him although the rest of users have received the emails.

Please tell me if there is any way we can add him to our bitbucket workspace.

Thanks,

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ray Depew September 15, 2021

I have read the Jira issues and the Community questions about this topic.

I see two three problems with the current situation:

1. No feedback is given to the Site Admin that an email was bounced.

2. There's no way for a Site Admin to review or edit the suppression list.

3. Coordination with (or behaviour inconsistent with) other Atlassian products

Problem 1: no feedback to Site Admin

When I send an invitation, the page Workspace Settings / User Groups , tab Users , says "3 invitations pending". It doesn't say "1 invitation pending, 2 invitations bounced". Worse, when I click on "3 invitations pending", for each invitation it gives me two options: Resend invitation and Cancel invitation. It doesn't say anywhere that an email address is on the suppression list and that clicking Resend invitation (often repeatedly) is a futile gesture -- nor does it suggest that I cancel the invitation because the invitation is going nowhere.

Proposed solution:

We read in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-20659 that "this is done to comply with GDPR regulations". Then at least grey out the Resend invitation, or make the Cancel invitation blink or something that means "click this because your invitation is going nowhere". The invitation is definitely not "pending". It's dead. Dead invitations should not be on a list labeled "Pending".

Problem 2: Site Admin cannot manage suppression list

Once an email address is on the suppression list, it seems that only an Atlassian support engineer can remove it. (I hope I'm wrong about this, but the discussions on the community forum seem to support this observation.) This causes unnecessary downtime for users. It can cause a Level 3 or Level 2 issue to escalate to a Level 1.

Proposed solution:

Why not simply add a workspace-specific or organization-specific supression list to the Access Management heading in the Workspace Settings menu? Then the Site Admins can manage the suppression list and troubleshoot email problems locally.

Problem 3: Coordination with (or behaviour inconsistent with) other Atlassian products

In the case of my organization, the email addresses we are using are indeed valid. They are copied and pasted out of the Outlook directory that we use every day. Organizations use a variety of Atlassian products, Bitbucket being just one of them, and these email addresses work just fine with the other Atlassian products. Why would an email address be valid for a Jira account, but not for the corresponding Bitbucket workspaces?

Proposed solution:

I wish I had one.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2021

Hi @JJ지우근,

I checked in our system and saw a hard bounce event for that email with the message

550: 550 5.1.1 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

There might have been an attempt to create an account or send an invitation before the email was operational. The hard bounce informs us that the email does not exist and in this case, it is placed in a suppression list, as we no longer try to resend to non-existing emails.

I went ahead and removed the email from the suppression list, could you please try resending the invitation now?

A new invitation needs to be sent, as the previous ones were dropped.

Just a heads up, I removed the email from your question to protect the user's privacy.

Please feel free to let me know if things are ok now and if you need anything further.

Kind regards,
Theodora

JJ지우근 September 7, 2021

Thanks for your support.

We have added him to our workspace.

Have a good day!

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2021

Thank you for the update and you are very welcome, I'm glad to have helped!

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else!

Have a nice day too,
Theodora

Joe Kaire August 17, 2022

@Theodora Boudale Hi! can you please check if that's the case for our system?

There's a user that can't seem to get the invite.

Thanks,

Joe

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2022

Hi Joe,

We have made improvements to our workspace invitations. If an email does not arrive an admin can attempt to resend the invitation by selecting the “Resend” button and the email will be automatically removed from our suppression list, and the invitation will be sent (assuming that the email address is valid and active).

Please note that this applies to Bitbucket Cloud invitations only.

If your issue concerns an invitation to a different product, I would advise responding to the other question you created here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/One-user-not-receiving-invite-email/qaq-p/2110184

My colleague Andy, who has responded to your question, can assist you further.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events