git-svn clone fails with "Secure Connection Truncated" error

JeffN March 1, 2013

We are in the process of creating a clone of our hosted Subversion repo in order to switch over to Git. We are trying to preserve our version history, and so are using the manual 'git-svn clone' command to clone the existing repo as described in the Pro Git book.

After processing the first several thousand revisions (roughly 1/3 of the total) the process halts with the following error:

RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/svn/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response body: Secure connection truncated (https://intellireal.atlassian.net) at /usr/bin/git-svn line 5669

I've read that this may be caused by an excessively large file or directory.

Size of file being cloned at failure: 177 Bytes

Size of directory being cloned at falure: 23 MB

Number of files in revision being cloned: ~4,000

Size of trunk checkout: 466 MB

What needs to be done so that we can complete a clone of our existing repository without the connection being truncated? Are there any client-side settings to help prevent this?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
nicolapaolucci March 13, 2013

Hi there.

When the clone operation stops half way due to connection problems or the size of the commits, you can resume the process from where it stopped by simply doing:

git svn fetch

I know from experience that connection drops on huge repositories or big files happen from time to time and this command helped me resume from where the clone phase stopped.

Let me know if it works for you.

Cheers.

JeffN March 13, 2013

It worked perfectly, thank you!

Now that I have a cloned repository, what is the best way to import the whole thing to our bitbucket account? The "import repository" screen asks for a URL, but the repo is behind a firewall/VPN.

Can I push the whole repo to bitbucket as a remote instead of trying to pull it from our SVN clone?

nicolapaolucci March 14, 2013

Hey Jeff, indeed once you have local git repository to your liking setting the bitbucket repository as remote and pushing to it should work flawlessly.

Cheers,

Nick

Michael Handl December 22, 2020

Hi, I have the same problem with 'git-svn clone' command but "git svn fetch" doesn't fix it. The same error appears again:

RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/****': Could not read chunk delimiter: Secure connection truncated (https://****) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Git/SVN/Ra.pm line 282.

Can you help me about this?

Thanks,

Michael

swapnil pawar April 14, 2021

Hello nicolapaolucci,

Its working but as my repository commit history is large failing again n again.

any permanent solution to clone or continue cloning process command can you suggest.

Thanks,

Swapnil Pawar 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events