Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant get https access to cloud account to clone

Russell Fulton November 24, 2021

I have the "Too many invalid password attempts." problem. Logging in to bitbucket manually makes no difference so I assume that something is banging away with the wrong password but I can't figure out what.

I found instructions to list recent sessions which involves logging in to the account selecting the avatar and then "personal settings".

This lists the me logging in from my laptop but no sessions where I am trying to clone a repository on a server.   These connection will be going via a squid proxy.  It has occurred to me that some other user on the same proxy is having problems and the block is by IP and not user?

I am stuck with using https rather than ssh because the server does not have ssh access to the Internet.

Thoughts?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2021

Hi, @Russell Fulton! Welcome to the community! 

Before we start, I’d like to confirm that I've understood properly what is happening on your side. Feel free to correct me in case I have misunderstood something here. Apparently, you are not able to access your repositories in Bitbucket Cloud when using HTTPS. Is that correct?

If that’s the case, could you please confirm the following information, so we can further investigate this case?

• Is this happening when you use the terminal or another option like SourceTree?

• Is there any other message besides "Too many invalid password attempts"?

• By "Logging in to bitbucket manually makes no difference", do you mean that you can’t access your Bitbucket account through the UI either?

• I understand that you are using your user password, is that correct? Could you please clear the credentials on the application you use and try to authenticate using an App Password

App passwords are substitute passwords for a user account that you can use for scripts and integrating tools to avoid putting your real password into configuration files.

Please let me know how it goes. Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Russell Fulton November 27, 2021

Thanks Caroline!

Always a good idea to check understanding!  :)

yes, the app password worked fine!   

I was going to get those machines set up with a hole through the firewall to bitbucket.org:22 but I won't bother now.

I still have no idea what the actual problem was (and since I am a security engineer that bothers me ; )

Russell

0 votes
Russell Fulton November 24, 2021

there does not seem to be a way to edit the question so here is some additional information:

I am able to clone the same repository from another IP address using the same account.  This strongly suggest to me that it is the poxy IP which is blocked not the account.

I know that I had issues earlier with password from the account and that there were a large number of failures from automated logins (from puppet).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events