Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workspaces and Usernames

Tourbillon Labs August 16, 2020

Hi,

I have a workspace/repos under a personal account that I want to now transfer to its own Atlassian ID. The problem is the username that I want for the new ID is the same as the workspace ID and I suspect this is why "username is unavailable" is coming up when I try to register it.

As bitbucket.com/workspaceId points to my workspace, I assume that this is because the namespace is shared between usernames and workspaces and not because someone else actually has that username already. Does this sound about right?

If so, how do I release that identifier in my personal account so that I can register/change the new ID username to be under that name?

I tried renaming the workspace then registering/changing the username of the new ID to it, but it still says the name is unavailable. So I could be wrong about the shared namespace thing, but I just wanted to check.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2020

Usernames and workspaces IDs are unique pieces of your account. New accounts will have the same username and primary workspace ID, but both can be changed separately. Workspace IDs exist in URLs and changing the workspace ID will change the URL for a repository. Therefore, usernames are not that important because they are not present in any URLs or anywhere in the app except the settings page.

Tourbillon Labs August 17, 2020

Thanks for clarifying.

In that case, why when I try to register the username would it tell me it is unavailable, but when I try to reset the password (in case I forgot I had previously registered) it says the username doesn’t exist?

Tyler T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2020

When registering, the app will check for a unique username and workspace name that are the same. After registering, these can be changed.

For your situation, I would try registering with a different username and then changing the username after the account has been created. It seems like the workspace ID is already taken but the username is not, correct? 

https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/username/change/

Tourbillon Labs August 20, 2020

Yes, that's right. My other account holds the workspace name.

Thanks for the info, will give that a shot. Appreciate it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events