Why are ALL of my repos suddenly under an 'Untitled Project'?

blaasvaer August 11, 2020

I saw that all my repos are suddenly under an 'Untitled Project'. I get that this is some the 'new stuff' going on at bitbucket ... but will I delete all my repos if I delete the project!? I'm sure NOT just going to 'try' something as risky as that ... could Atlassian not do a better UX job than this?

1 answer

2 votes
mdgmichael August 11, 2020

From the Bitbucket Workspaces FAQ:

Q: Why do I now need Projects for my repositories?

Projects already exist within teams today. Projects add the ability to categorize and group repositories. With the move to Workspaces we are now requiring all repositories to belong to projects. In the future we plan to add new features for projects to make them much more powerful such as: project settings, project permissions, project dashboards. 

Workspaces will let us unify the experience of working with projects and repositories so we can more easily add new features in the future.

Basically, due to the recent change to "Workspaces"—which puts both individual and team accounts on the same model—all repositories need to belong to a "Project." If you want, you can just have one generic "project" for all your repos. It doesn't affect your repo URLs or anything else on a functional level. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to delete the project; honestly, I'm not even sure if it will let you.

As for whether or not this is a good implementation—I shan't comment. :)

blaasvaer August 13, 2020

Thanks for your answer ... it does however more explain about Projects than actually tell me whether it will delete all my repos if I delete the project (an option which I AM offered).

I'd personally suggest to use the word 'LINK' instead of 'ADD' on the "Add repositories" button. That would give a different 'mindmap'.

I am 'guessing' though(!) that deleting the repos when deleting a project is not going to happen, as that would be VERY bad UX architecture ... but event triggering the doubt is bad enough in itself. Enough so that I don't even have the guts to try it!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events