Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happen if I left "keep this workspace private" tick box untick in workspace setting?

Aruna Virajith Chandrasekara
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 9, 2021

What happen if I left "keep this workspace private" tick box untick in workspace setting?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2021

Hi, @Aruna Virajith Chandrasekara! Welcome to the community! 

This is a workspace setting. If you set it to private, the workspace won't be visible to anyone who doesn't have explicit access to it. So, when someone who doesn't have access to this workspace tries to access it, they will see a page like this: 

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 4.48.37 PM.png

However, if you remove the “Keep this workspace private" option from your workspace > Settings, if someone who doesn't have access to this workspace tries to open it, they will see a page like this: 

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 4.51.19 PM.png

With that said, even if the workspace is not set as private, if the repositories are private, only users who have access to these repos will be able to access them. 

In case you would like to test it, you can open an incognito window and try to access your workspace. If you mark your workspace as private and you try to access it from a browser in incognito mode, you should see the “You were never here" message. 

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards, 
Caroline

Yalcin Yilmaz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 6, 2024

What is the purpose of this? Why would I want to make this "not private", if all it does is to show that this workspace exists, but nobody can see a repo inside?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events