What does the "Main branch" settings in Repository details means?

What does the "Main branch" settings in Repository details means?

We noticed that if we change Main branch, if you create a new branch, then. the Main branch is the default "destination" when you want to merge it back. Is this the only use for the Main branch setting? 

Is there any problem in making our "Main branch" the "Development" branch instead of "master"?

3 answers

Just as you two have commented on, in Bitbucket 4.8.5 there is no "main" branch setting, however there is the Default Branch setting on the same Repository Details page with the description:

Select the default branch for browsing and cloning the repository. Git chooses the "master" branch by default.

Therefore, just as you suspected, it should not have any undesired effects by setting this to Development, especially if you're worried about accidentally committing or merging into the Master.

Jim Redmond Atlassian Team Dec 01, 2016

Bitbucket Cloud calls it "main branch", since new Mercurial repos have "default" instead of "master".

I don't know the answer to the first part, but you can make it whatever you want. The "development" and "master" branches are just default because they're so common, nothing about git requires that your repository contains either one.

Yeah, I know about that, we are just not sure if the Main branch setting has some other use or if changing it has any other implications. We found no reference about it in Bitbucket Help

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 06, 2018 in Bitbucket

Upgrade Best Practices

Hello! My name is Mark Askew and I am a Premier Support Engineer for products Bitbucket Server/Data Center, Fisheye & Crucible. Today, I want to bring the discussion that Jennifer, Matt, and ...

191 views 3 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you