Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What about version in pom.xml for feature branches?

gestj December 1, 2013

I'm new to git, feature branching etc... but I really like it ;)

Thats my example:

I have my develop branch with let's say "1.0-SNAPSHOT" set as version in my pom.xml.

On top of that I create a feature branch and I want to be able to build that feature branch independently. As a result I (guess I) have to change the version to "1.0-<feature>-SNAPSHOT".

Everything works as expected now. Bamboo will build my feature branch, I can deploy the resulting artefacts, they are different, don't interfere, ...

But now I'm done with my feature and want to merge it.

When I create a "Pull Request" in Stash I have the pom.xml changes as well in there, although I don't want them to be there...

(of course I could just change the version back before the merge, but that's kinda weird)

=> So what is the common workflow for that?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2013

Hi Johannes,

This is one of the real problems with maven. Checking the version into a file in Git is a bad idea (we have the same problem in Stash though).

What we do is to have a special build that does a maven release on a temporary branch, merges back to the original branch and _then_ does a 'git merge --strategy=ours' to the next 'upstream' branch. This merge will completely ignore the changes on the source branch (which is normally something you don't want to do). From that point you can merge up the chain as normal as there will be nothing to merge. It's not quite the same thing as what you're doing though, we don't bother with feature versions, only releases.

So basically you can't really merge the pull request without doing something manual first. Reverting the version before (or just after) the merge might be your best option. It's ugly, but that's maven for you.

Cheers,

Charles

gestj December 2, 2013

Thanks!

I worried about that, but good to hear that you have them same problem ;)

Feldhacker December 2, 2013

We would love to see Stash enhanced to support this common scenario...!

1 vote
Cecom March 10, 2015

Hi,

perhaps a little bit late, but if you still have this problem, have a look on my project on github. I solved that via a git merge driver. 

Greetings,
Sven

Zafar Hussaini October 14, 2016

This is ideal for our use. Thanks, Sven.

1 vote
Xavier Arques December 2, 2013

Hi Johannes,

To avoid pom merge, you could perhaps use bamboo variables inside the pom as explained here.

If variable names are the same in feature branch and in develop branch no merge will be proposed for pom.xml

Cheers

Xavier

gestj December 2, 2013

I'll give it a try ;)

0 votes
qoomon October 15, 2017

https://github.com/qoomon/maven-branch-versioning-extension

This extension generate the version by the current branch. It will not change the pom.xml so.

Disclaimer: I am the author.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events