Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two step verification code issue

Priyanka Shetye December 28, 2022

I had triggered an account recovery email, post receiving recovery instructions after 24 hrs when I am following the instructions to re enable 2 FA , it is not accepting the code  from authenticator app(Google authenticator app) even after adding the code from authenticator app

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2023

Hi @Priyanka Shetye and welcome to the community!

Bitbucket Cloud uses Atlassian accounts for authentication, and at the moment it is possible to set up 2FA for both the Bitbucket account and the Atlassian account.

I can see that a 2FA recovery email was requested for your Bitbucket Cloud account, but that was a day after you made this post, and 2FA is now enabled for Bitbucket. Are you still having issues with this?

If so:

Kind regards,
Theodora

Priyanka Shetye January 2, 2023

@Theodora Boudale   please find my comments below

I am facing issue with bitbucket 2FA

I could enable Atlassian 2FA and use confluence,jira(as it doesn't ask for code) however for bitbucket if I use the auth code for atlassian account from my device then it gives the issue

My case is similar case as below one

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Unable-to-login-with-lost-2FA-recovery-codes/qaq-p/1765726

Yes my mail id is same

bitbucket_issue.PNG

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2023

Hi @Priyanka Shetye,

Thank you for the info.

If you have enabled 2FA both for the Atlassian account and also for the Bitbucket account, there should be two accounts listed in your 2FA app:

• one that generates Atlassian account 2FA codes
  • another one that generates Bitbucket 2FA codes

It is not possible to use the Atlassian account 2FA codes for Bitbucket and vice versa. The Atlassian account 2FA codes can only be used for Atlassian account 2FA, and for Bitbucket you need to use the Bitbucket ones.

Do you have an additional account in your Google authenticator app specifically for Bitbucket? If so, can you try using the codes from this one for Bitbucket?

If not, you can select the link "Forgot code?" from the screen you shared in order to request a recovery email for Bitbucket 2FA. The email will be sent 24 hours after the request and it will have a link you can use to disable Bitbucket 2FA. The recovery link will be valid for 24 hours after the email was sent.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Priyanka Shetye January 3, 2023

@Theodora Boudale I have only one account that generates Atlassian account 2FA codes

However I already tried "Forgot Code?" and try through recovery link (3 times )but after executing all steps it still doesn't shows another account that generates Bitbucket 2FA codes in my authenticator app  , and only shows atlassian account . Just now I have resent the recovery request 

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2023

Hi @Priyanka Shetye,

I can see that you triggered another Bitbucket 2FA recovery email a few minutes ago.

You will get the recovery email in 24 hours. If you follow the link in this email, you will first get redirected to https://id.atlassian.com/ in order to log in (you may be asked to give an Atlassian account 2FA code at this point), and then you will get redirected to the following page:

Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 15.59.46.png 

You need to select Disable two-step verification from this page in order to disable Bitbucket 2FA.

Please note that this process will NOT add the Bitbucket account to your authenticator app, it will disable Bitbucket 2FA. The Bitbucket account should be added to your Google authenticator app when you enable Bitbucket 2FA.

Could you please let me know, what is your end goal?
Would you like to have 2FA enabled both for the Atlassian account and the Bitbucket one?
Or only one of them, and if so, which one?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Priyanka Shetye January 3, 2023

End goal is to be able to login through bitbucket GUI using my credentials and access repositories.

Also as bitbucket is asking for  2FA that means our admin has enforced it for bitbucket only . Because for other atlassian products like jira , confluence I don't need to add any code after entering pwd. So only for bitbucket

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2023

Hi @Priyanka Shetye,

At the moment, 2FA is also enabled for your Atlassian account. If your admin doesn't require 2FA for the Atlassian account in order to log in to Jira and Confluence, you can disable that in order to avoid confusion. You can disable Atlassian account 2FA from this page: https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security/two-step-verification

You can even do this now, you don't need to wait for Bitbucket 2FA to be disabled. After you successfully disable Atlassian account 2FA, you can remove from your phone the account that gives Atlassian account 2FA codes.

When you receive the Bitbucket recovery email tomorrow, you can follow the instructions I gave in my previous message to disable Bitbucket 2FA. After you do that, you can enable Bitbucket 2FA again via the following page: https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/two-step-verification/manage

Once you enable Bitbucket 2FA again, there should be an account in the Google authenticator app that generates 2FA codes for Bitbucket specifically.

If you face any issues or if you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Priyanka Shetye January 4, 2023

Thanks you @Theodora Boudale  i was trying to recover my bitbucket account while my 2FA was enabled for atlassian . Post disabling the 2FA for atlassian I am able to disable 2FA for bitbucket and re enable it.

In previous attempts I couldn't see below page as atlassian 2FA was enabled

Disable_2FA.PNG

Like Theodora Boudale likes this
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

You are very welcome @Priyanka Shetye, I'm glad that this is resolved now.

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else!

Kind regards,
Theodora 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events