Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of account and projects

Lyle Taggart
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 9, 2021

I recently joined a company - the products was built on the Bitbucket account belonging to a third party company and I was added to the repositories under this account using my new email address. 

Now I want to take ownership of the project/repositories in a brand new bitbucket account under my new companies name. and set my self up as an admin using my existing email address. 

Any ideas what the steps are to make this happen?

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2021

Hi, @Lyle Taggart! Welcome to the community! 

In order to change the ownership of your repositories to a new bitbucket account, you have 2 options:

1. You can either transfer the repository ownership to a new account (the transferred repository loses all access groups and doesn't inherit the destination account's default access groups. You'll have to set those on the repository after the transfer)

2. Or you can add an email alias to this account and ask us to switch the alias to be your primary email, this way, the new email will be the owner of this account. 

In order to transfer the repository ownership, you can follow the next steps:

• Access the repository you want to transfer > click Repository settings in the left menu.

• Select the option Manage repository > click Transfer repository.

• Enter the Workspace ID of the workspace in which you want to transfer the repository.

• Click Transfer. 

• Then, Bitbucket will send an email to the new owner or workspace administrators containing the transfer request with a link to the page that allows the user to accept or reject the transfer. 

In case you want to follow the second option (add an alias and switch this email to your primary address), you can follow the next steps: 

1. From your profile avatar in the bottom left, click Personal settings.

2. Select Email aliases under General.

3. Enter your email address in the Enter email address field.

4. Click Add.

5. After that, Bitbucket will send you an email to confirm the alias

6. Do not try to log in to Bitbucket using this email, otherwise, you will create a new Bitbucket account with this email, and that's not our goal.

7. After that, please add a comment here to ask me to switch the alias to be the primary email on this account. 

Please, feel free to share any additional questions or concerns regarding this case.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events