Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Server to Datacenter license upgrade

Hi, 

We are using Server 6.9.0 and plan to migrate to Datacenter

Looking at the documentation for current Bitbucket https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/migrate-from-server-to-data-center-996641211.html it seems that it is possible to do a seamless upgrade for the license.

Could you please confirm what is the minimal version of Server that supports seamless license upgrade?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Sep 15, 2021

Hi @Sergei Valevka , welcome to the Community!

This is a great question, as it's only been since more recent versions of Jira and Confluence that a simple license change was all that was needed to make those applications work as single-node Data Center instances.

Fortunately Bitbucket Server has always supported running as single-node DC without additional changes. You should be all set to convert with the license change on Bitbucket 6.9.

I would however suggest at least upgrading to 6.10 - which is a Long-Term Support release - if you are able to. 6.10.13 was released about a month ago, and 6.10 as a line will be supported through next January. For more information about Long-Term Support releases, check out our documentation describing them and our support policy around LTS releases. The latest LTS version of Bitbucket Server is 7.6.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Thank you @Daniel Eads , really appreciate the answer

Once we update the license, the plan is to deploy a new Datacenter instance v7.16 and migrate our data from 6.9 instance to the new instance.

I was looking through the documentation and the only migration document I could find is the one below. Could you please confirm that it is suitable for migration between 6.9 Server and 7.16 Datacenter. Thank you!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/migrating-bitbucket-server-to-another-server-776640406.html

Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Sep 16, 2021

Yes that's essentially the process! Once you're ready to add new nodes, Set up a Bitbucket Data Center cluster is a good document to work through.

The biggest got-ya is that MySQL can't support multiple Bitbucket nodes - therefore we recommend that you do not use MySQL even for single-node Bitbucket Data Center. The supported databases for Data Center are listed on the Supported Platforms page.

Thank you @Daniel Eads 

We don't plan to have a cluster yet. Am I right in thinking that to install Datacenter on a single node, I use the latest binary for Server from https://www.atlassian.com/software/bitbucket/download-archives and then provide Datacenter license during the install?

Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Sep 17, 2021

Yes, that's right. The binaries are the same for both Server and Data Center installs; it is the license key only that determines if the install will become a Server or Data Center instance. That's the right link for the downloads!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,225 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you