cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting garbage collection after repo size reduction

Tim Storck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 9, 2024

Hello,

I am doing a dry run of a size reduction operation on a repo. I have a test repo under this account that is currently reporting as 2.81 GB in Bitbucket, though it was 2.7 before I used BFG and did a mirror push. I saw info online that garbage collection is done automatically for pushes but I did multiple pushes, I have no pull requests, and looking at search results for "repo size" here suggests that it needs to be requested to a team member? It seems this is the place to request a garbage collection for free accounts like mine? Can a kind Atlassian team member please run garbage collection on the repo? 

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2024

Hey @Tim Storck ,

and welcome to the Community!

You're correct, once you push a cleaned-up repository to the Bitbucket cloud, a garbage collection is required to remove any dangling/unreferenced objects that were left behind.

I went ahead and triggered a GC for your repository, which managed to reduce its size back to 882MB.

Could you confirm if everything looks good on your end?

Please let us know in case you have any questions.

Thank you, @Tim Storck !

Patrik S

Tim Storck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 11, 2024

Thanks! 

Noticed the Bitbucket UI no longer displays repo size. Curious why but not important, guessing it doesn't if less than 2 GB.

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2024

Hi @Tim Storck ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I've sent notice for Atlassian Support to look at your request.  They should respond in two business days.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events