Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reclaim a Bitbucket Username?

Jon Yurek April 9, 2021

I have a bitbucket account under my personal email address and also another under my company email address. I also have Atlassian accounts under those same email addresses. But when I try to sign into Bitbucket after having signed in to those Atlassian accounts, I'm prompted to choose a Bitbucket username. Those two names are already chosen.

Thus, I'm left with no way to claim my actual username because there's no way to get to any way to link these accounts.

Can someone help here?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Jon Yurek ,

If you are prompted to choose a Bitbucket username, then no Bitbucket account exists for the Atlassian account that you are currently logged in to.

Are you trying to log in with the same email as the one of your community account?

I checked in our system and this specific email is added as an email alias to a Bitbucket Cloud account that has a different primary email address (which I assume is your personal one). Email aliases are used for Git aliasing only, log in is only possible with the primary email address (of the linked Atlassian account).

So, for the email of your community account, there is no Bitbucket Cloud account with that one as primary email.
You'll need to create an account first in order to be able to log in with it. If you do this, then this email will be removed from the aliases of the account I mentioned above.

You mentioned that you have two Bitbucket accounts, but I am not sure which one the second is. I can see in our system one account that I already mentioned, where your community email is an alias and a different email is the primary one. So, it is possible that the second Bitbucket account is associated with a different email address than these two.

In order for us to offer advice specific to your situation, we would need to know the Bitbucket username of each of these two accounts and the email you are trying to log in with (in case it's different than the email of your community account). If you can provide this info here, I can check in our system.

If you don't want to share this info here publicly for privacy reasons, you can open a ticket with the support team providing this info, so they can check in our system what accounts exist and advise you on next steps. The support ticket will be visible only to you and Atlassian staff. You can open a ticket via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/, in "What can we help you with?" select "Technical issues and bugs" and then Bitbucket Cloud as product.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Jon Yurek April 12, 2021

Thank you for the help. That did at least alleviate one problem and I was able to sign in.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2021

That's good to hear and you are very welcome.

If you need any further help, please feel free to reach out either here or via a support ticket.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events