Pipelines with Git Ftp and Composer

Aneek Mukhopadhyay October 11, 2018

Hello,

I am using Bitbucket Pipeline along with Git-Ftp for months. So far it is really good. Now I have landed into a problem which needs your suggestions.

I have implemented composer packages into the system and I would like to run "composer update" command into the server only when the upload ready file list contents "composer.json" and "composer.lock" file.

For that I believe, I have to run a shell file as a script in the pipeline? The problems are:

1. How do I know the file names while a pipeline is running? I searched the available environment variables (https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/environment-variables-794502608.html) page but couldn't find any.
  2. If the problem #1 can be resolved then, I'd like to run composer update into the server directly. Is that possible? Do I have to add that server's SSH key into bitbucket? Can you please point me to a guide?

Right now, I have a very straight forward pipeline script which puts files into 'public_html' directory of my site. In the server, I do have SSH access credentials and composer is also installed.

image: samueldebruyn/debian-git

pipelines:
# Automated builds.
branches:
# Automated build into Development.
development:
- step:
name: Automated Development Build
script:
- apt-get update
- apt-get -qq install git-ftp
- git ftp push --user $FTP_USERNAME --passwd $FTP_PASSWORD ftp://$FTP_HOST/public_html/

I could have used Git-Ftp's feature ".git-ftp-include wildcards". But it would upload all contents of the "vendor" directory every time if composer.json/.lock file is changed. I only want to run composer command in the server itself. So I can save pipeline build minutes.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Aneek

2 answers

0 votes
Jake Gonzales May 13, 2021

I'm working on this problem and I've found these links which might help.

The gist of the problem is that after you run build commands you want to tell FTP to include them in the transfer. It definitely would be better to do this over SSH but if like me you're not so hot with devops, sending it over FTP feels easier.

I haven't solved the problem yet but I'll post my answer here if I do.

0 votes
Rodrigo Girorme March 27, 2019

@Aneek Mukhopadhyay , have you solved this issue?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events