Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipeline is echoing all the variables in the build setup section

Devendra Sharma November 29, 2022

I have recently observed that pipeline execution is echoing all the variables (workspace, pipeline repo etc.) in the build setup.
This was not happening earlier, and I observed this after nov-9. Can I switch this behavior off? I am using image: atlassian/default-image:3 image in my pipeline.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2022

Hello @Devendra Sharma ,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

The feature of printing the name of all the environment variables used in pipelines was recently released, to give the users more visibility of the variables available inside the build container.

However, I understand you wanted to disable this feature for your bitbucket repositories. Would you mind sharing with us the reason why you would like to opt-out of this feature and if you are running into any issues with this new functionality in pipelines? Any feedback is appreciated :) 

Thank you, @Devendra Sharma .

Kind regards,

Patrik S

Devendra Sharma November 29, 2022

Hi @Patrik S ,

Thanks for the response and I understand it's a feature to log the variables in the pipeline. 

The reason I want to switch it off on demand because we have few workspace variables which are used to store secrets and I don't want everyone to know about those variables otherwise anyone can use those variables in their pipelines, and I will have control on their usage.

Thanks,
Dev

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2022

Hello @Devendra Sharma ,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about this feature with us.

Users of your repository that have write access always had access to the variables in the pipeline step, so the feature of showing the env variables in the Build Setup is not giving additional permissions/access to these users that they didn't have previously.

Also, all the values of env variables configured as Secured variables will be masked from the pipeline logs so they are not disclosed to your team members viewing build logs.

Thank you, @Devendra Sharma .

Patrik S

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
December 9, 2022

Hello @Devendra Sharma ,

We have created a feature request to add the ability to disable the logging o environment variables names in the Build setup section :

I would suggest you to add your vote there, since this helps both developers and product managers to understand the interest. Also, make sure you add yourself as a watcher in case you want to receive first-hand updates from that ticket. Please note that all features are implemented with this policy in mind.

Thank you!

Patrik S

Devendra Sharma December 9, 2022

I have voted for this feature

Thanks,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events