Pipeline Deployments - Links to Jira Tickets

Andy Rouse January 18, 2023

I was hoping to understand a clear definition of how Bitbucket/Jira interact in order to understand all of the Jira Tickets which are included within a deployment run via a pipeline. It appears to be automatic, but I'm unclear from the documentation exactly how Bitbucket works it out.

There are various triggers for pipelines, so it would be good to understand:

• Pull Requests
  • Commits
  • Merge Commits
    • Standard
    • Fast Forward
    • Squash
  • Manual

I can probably guess how it works for Pull Requests, single Commits and standard merge commits, but it would be good to get confirmation.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2023

Hi @Andy Rouse

Welcome to the community.

For the Pipelines Deployments, would it be possible for you to confirm if you're referring to the Pipelines Delployments UI like the way how it shows information in relation to Jira issues?

Regards,
Mark C

Andy Rouse January 24, 2023

@Mark C - Yes - I'd like to understand how the Deployments UI "knows" which Jira tickets to link to a deployment and show in the UI.

Mark C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2023

Hi @Andy Rouse,

Thanks for the confirmation.

The Pipelines Deployments UI is based on a difference between the current state and the state after deployment.
When you view a specific build, the UI result compares it to the previous build listing all differences in the following tabs including Jira issue keys:

• Commits
  • Diff
  • Pull requests
  • Issues (including Jira issue keys)

For example, if you have the 5 Pipelines builds below and you view build #215 on your Deployments UI, the modal will compare build #215 to #214 and list all their differences.

1. Build #215
  2. Build #214
  3. Build #213
  4. Build #212
  5. Build #211

Having said that, there may be instances where no differences will be listed.
A common example here is when a build was a rerun or redeployed.
This is because there are no differences between the current build and the rerun/redeployed build.

Hope it helps and do let me know if you have further questions that I can help with.

Regards,
Mark C

Andy Rouse January 25, 2023

Mark,

Thank you for getting back to me. Apologies, I'm not sure if I understand how the system compares the differences between builds in order to understand which tickets, etc.

Is a build always related to a specific (most recent) commit? Does it compare the difference between 2 commits upon which 2 builds are related? 

Thanks,

Andy

Mark C
Atlassian Team
January 26, 2023

Hi @Andy Rouse

Indeed, it compares the commits between the state before deployment and after for the specified environment.

Regards,
Mark C

Andy Rouse February 8, 2023

Thanks @Mark C - I look forward to getting our automations up and running

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events