Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install crashes

Robert Parker December 10, 2014

I downloaded the 30 day trial and installed it on a centos_x64 box on digital ocean.

When I start the service it looks like it is working

To run Stash in the foreground, start the server with start-stash.sh -fg
Starting Atlassian Stash as dedicated user atlstash

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stash is being run with a umask that contains potentially unsafe settings.
The following issues were found with the mask "u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx" (0022):
 - access is allowed to 'others'. It is recommended that 'others' be denied
   all access for security reasons.

The recommended umask for Stash is "u=,g=w,o=rwx" (0027) and can be
configured in setenv.sh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Detecting JVM PermGen support...
PermGen switch is supported. Setting to 256m\n
Using STASH_HOME:      /var/atlassian/application-data/stash
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/atlassian/stash/3.5.0
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/atlassian/stash/3.5.0
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/stash/3.5.0/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /opt/atlassian/stash/3.5.0/jre
Using CLASSPATH:       /opt/atlassian/stash/3.5.0/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/stash/3.5.0/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID:    /opt/atlassian/stash/3.5.0/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.

Success! You can now use Stash at the following address:

http://localhost:7990/

If you cannot access Stash at the above location within 3 minutes, or encounter any other issues starting or stopping Atlassian Stash, please see the troubleshooting guide at:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASHKB/Troubleshooting+Installation

If i check the status it looks like it is working.

Stash is running

If I try going to the website I get a problem loading page unable to connect in my browser.

I check the status again and it is not running.

Also If I eave it running it will crash after a minute or two. The logs only have a couple of warnings and everything I am finding online is suggesting I do not need to worry about these.

10-Dec-2014 17:25:19.870 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/var/atlassian/application-data/stash/lib], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
10-Dec-2014 17:25:19.875 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/var/atlassian/application-data/stash/lib], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
10-Dec-2014 17:25:21.231 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.init The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: /opt/atlassian/stash/3.5.0/lib/native:/var/atlassian/application-data/stash/lib/native
10-Dec-2014 17:25:21.421 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host} Setting property 'xmlValidation' to 'false' did not find a matching property.
10-Dec-2014 17:25:21.421 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host} Setting property 'xmlNamespaceAware' to 'false' did not find a matching property.
10-Dec-2014 17:25:21.764 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-7990"]
10-Dec-2014 17:25:21.949 INFO [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioSelectorPool.getSharedSelector Using a shared selector for servlet write/read
10-Dec-2014 17:25:21.955 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Initialization processed in 1894 ms
10-Dec-2014 17:25:22.062 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service Catalina
10-Dec-2014 17:25:22.063 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/8.0.9

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Any Idea on how I can get it to run?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

How much memory do you have allocated? (I've been able to run Stash on a 1 Gig box but it wasn't too happy with me smile ). Also - check the entropy.. DO's entropy seems to get exhausted quickly... https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-setup-additional-entropy-for-cloud-servers-using-haveged

Robert Parker December 10, 2014

an a smaller box than that. I am just testing it out and will make a proposal to my boss if it suits our needs. Whats the minimal size do you recommend 2GB?

Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

Depends on load etc. At 1GB I was having errors in the logs from git etc. At 2 GB everything works. The other item is the number of cpu's. I suspect that performance will be painful with just one cpu... (Stash forks off to Git to do stuff).

1 vote
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2014

Hi Daniel,

Stash is shipped configured with its default memory settings at 768MB. Have a look at Scaling Stash.

I does sound like you haven't allocated enough memory to your VM.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim

0 votes
Roger Barnes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2014

Robert,

Per Thiago's answer, it's important (especially while evaluating) to give Stash and the git processes it runs enough room to shine. Git by its nature likes and does well with lots of memory, so I'd suggest a minimum of 2Gb and 2 cores on a VM to ensure there's room for OS processes, Stash itself and git processes.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events