Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Bitbucket Server in AWS AMI still available?

Andrew Liew February 20, 2022

Bitbucket has announced that the application for the Server license has closed and  recommended customer to move to Bitbucket Cloud. 

Correct me if I am wrong that if we were to move the code to Bitbucket Cloud, we have no control of the VM and its backup plan?

We want to have the visibility of the VM that host our code with svn and currently we manage it with AWS EC2. 

So, is Bitbucket Server in AWS AMI with new license still available for new customer ?
Please refer to AWS AMI doc Launch Bitbucket in AWS manually | Bitbucket Data Center and Server 7.20 | Atlassian Documentation

Thank you.

Andrew

2 answers

1 vote
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2022

Hi @Andrew Liew 

Welcome to the Community!!

The new installation of the server is not available

DC installation is available as a single node or multi-node

May I know the use case for you to use the server now? none the less it's not available just asking. Go with DC

Thanks

Andrew Liew February 20, 2022

Thanks for your reply. I will check Bitbucket Data Center installation and its option.

Use case is to move code from svn to git and we opt for Bitbucket. We have only 6 developers who will be using the tool so a single node should suffice?

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2022

@Andrew Liew  yes a single node deployment of Bitbucket DC will suffice your use case.

Andrew Liew February 21, 2022

Thank you @Vishwas 

@Vishwas  My team has decided to go for Bitbucket Cloud. We plan to do a PoC first with Free using an atlassian account (my company email) and then request the subscription change from Free to Premium where we migrate the rest of the code and integrate with Jenkins. 

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2022

Yes it is possible

0 votes
Piotr Biegun _Gitprotect_io_ February 21, 2022

Hi @Andrew Liew

If you are looking for a backup solution, do Bitbucket Data Center. This guide should be helpful https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/disaster-recovery-guide-for-bitbucket-data-center-833940586.html

You should be aware that Bitbucket Data Center could be challenging when writing your scripts due to limited public API. 

For example, at Gitprotect.io for Bitbucket Cloud version, we have backup and recovery for:

• code stored in git repositories 
  • metadata like wiki, issues, comments, downloads, deployment keys, pull requests, webhooks and pipelines.   

In the case of Bitbucket Data Center, it's limited to code stored in git repositories and metadata like pull requests and webhooks.    

What is the scripts/limited public API going to be used for?

Thank you @Piotr Biegun _Gitprotect_io_ 

Piotr Biegun _Gitprotect_io_ February 22, 2022

If you want to backup and restore metadata via API there is a huge difference between what you could do on the cloud and the dc version. The APIs from the cloud version are not available in the dc version. 

You can't backup and restore the same information, not to mention simple cross-recovery even if the products look similar.

Plus you have API call limits that could block your users if your scripts doesn't work correctly and have larger number of repos to backup:

Like Andrew Liew likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events