How to set the text encoding?

I'm new to BitBucket. I just created a repository and pushed some code. This code is encoded with ISO-8559-1 charset. However, when I browse it on BitBucket interface I see corrupted accented letters. I guess BitBucket assumes text files are in UTF-8 character encoding, but it's not my case.

How can I fix fhis? Is there an setting to tell BitBucket that text files in a repository are in a different encoding?

Is the "encoding" property of .gitattributes supported?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Gary Sackett Atlassian Team May 14, 2015

Hi Mauro,

The Bitbucket website does default to UTF-8, and does not allow you to choose what encoding that the reader will try to view the repo with.  We have an open feature request to change this at https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/7239/allow-specifying-a-repositorys-encoding.  Please feel free to add any feedback, and/or vote for this feature.

Cheers,
Gary 

This widget could not be displayed.

Thank you Gary, I will monitor that ticket. This feature would be extremely useful, as UTF-8 is not the only encoding around sad

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,218 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you