cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recover a third party bitbucket

andre flambard
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 21, 2024

Unfortunately, the developer of our bespoke software passed away last Saturday and we cannot access the source code of his work in Php on a Code-Ignitor frame.

However, we do know he stored his work in bitbucket but, again, password protected and we do not have the password.

We can access a copy of his death certificate plus demonstrate that he was working for us, through both payments made to him plus a signed confirmation that all the work belonned to our company.

Can anyone advise how we could gain access to the bitbucket with our source code stored therein?

This is really quite urgent.

Thanks in advance

2 answers

1 vote
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2024

Hi Andre,

My sincere condolences for the loss of your developer.

I really don't know it Atlassian will grant you access to the Bitbucket repository even if you provide the documents you mentioned.
The best way to request this is probably thorugh Atlassian support: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

I found a similar question here. I hope you''l find a way to recover the source code.

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2024

Hi Andre,

Condolences for the loss of your developer.

If he was using Bitbucket Cloud, I'm afraid that we cannot provide you with access to an account not registered to you. If you would like to gain access to that account or data, you will need to:

• either obtain a relative's permission; if they have access to his email, they could reset the password via https://id.atlassian.com/login/resetpassword, log in to his Bitbucket Cloud account, and grant you access to the repository or repositories with the code.

• or provide us with a valid court order directing Atlassian to grant you the access you seek.

https://www.atlassian.com/trust/privacy/guidelines-for-law-enforcement

To protect our customers' rights, we scrutinize all requests and orders to ensure that they comply with the law, but please note that Atlassian cannot provide you with any legal advice regarding what constitutes a valid court order.

If the developer was using Bitbucket Server or Data Center, the data is not hosted on Atlassian's servers but it is self-hosted on a customer's server. In this case, you would need to obtain a relative's permission and help to find out where the data is hosted and and ask them to grant you access.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events