How to leverage Bitbucket deployments dashboard when using AWS Codepipeline/Codebuild for CI-CD

Simran October 29, 2021

We have been using AWS Codepipeline/codebuild for CI-CD and use bitbucket cloud for git provider. 

After reviewing this wonderful post, https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/devops/aws-codepipeline-build-status-in-a-third-party-git-repository/, I was able to set up feedback from AWS codepipeline in bitbucket. 

However, nothing shows up in the Deployments dashboard on Bitbucket cloud still. I would love to be able to see our deployment status on deployments dashboard in bitbucket cloud. Is there a way to achieve that as of now ? Is that in the roadmap?

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2021

Hi, @Simran

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Could you please confirm if you have specified a deployment environment in your YAML file? In case you have, would you be able to double-check whether the deployment name is listed in the Repository Settings > Deployments settings?

In case you would like to read more about how to set up and monitor deployments, you can access the following link:

Please, feel free to share any additional questions regarding this case.

Kind regards,
Caroline 

Simran November 1, 2021

@Caroline R  Thanks for your response. In the link you shared, it says:

Add the deployment keyword, followed by the name of the environment, into the relevant step in your bitbucket-pipelines.yml file.

I do not have a bitbucket-pipelines.yml file because we are using code pipeline/code build for CI-CD. Based on https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/devops/aws-codepipeline-build-status-in-a-third-party-git-repository/, have been able to have pipeline status posted back to bitbucket from AWS code pipeline, would like to understand how to expand that solution so that it shows up in the deployments as well. 

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2021

Hi, @Simran

Thanks for the additional information. In this case, there is no native way to achieve that, however, you can use the following Pipe to see the deployments:

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Caroline 

Simran November 1, 2021

@Caroline R Thanks for your response. We are not using codedeploy but codepipeline and codbeuild. Since it's possible to share the pipeline feedback with bucket as documented here, https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/devops/aws-codepipeline-build-status-in-a-third-party-git-repository/  , my understanding is that deployments should be similar as well. Would be great if you could please have this looked into internally? I'll check with AWS support as well. Thanks

Like # people like this
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2021

Hi, @Simran

I brought this matter to the developers and they confirmed that Deployments are only available from Pipelines (not available from the Bitbucket Cloud and Codebuild integration). They suggested that you give a try to Bitbucket Pipelines as it’s supported out-of-the-box and provides Deployments support or nice integrations with other Atlassian tools such as Jira, JSM, etc. 

As you mentioned you would check with AWS support, I would recommend asking them if it's possible to create a feature request on their side to implement that. 

Kind regards,
Caroline 

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2022

@Simran curious if you found a solution for this as I am interested in doing the same thing since we use AWS for CI/CD as well. 

Simran February 17, 2022

@Jeffrey Bistrong  No solution for JIRA dashboard, Just planning to use Serverless dashboard for the version tracking. Not what I wanted to do, but seems like the way forward for now. 

Andy Mell September 1, 2023

Has the bitbucket API endpoint been added yet for us to report deployments from external CI/CD such as codepipeline?

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events