Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create backups of repositories

Lukas Nosko March 1, 2018

Hello,

could you please explain how can I create regular backups of my repositories of all projects which are stored on your machines and stored them on my dedicated machine ? 

Regards

Lukas

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2018

Hi Lukas,

I would suggest taking a full backup of Bitbucket Server. This will include the repositories and the database and will allow you to perform a full restore, in case of need.

A backup and restore strategy is highly recommended for a production site.

All available strategies are documented on the following page:

- Data recovery and backups

Does this help?

Thanks, Caterina - Atlassian 

Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2018

I also see that you raised a similar question here:

How to create backup of the Bitbucket on Azure server ?

Is this on the same topic?

Thank you for your answer I will check site and yes is the same issue.

Currently we use Bitbucket servers for storing all projects. So for my server machine where I want to save all repositories every day should I install Bitbucket server and then I will be able to make backups ?

Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
March 3, 2018

Ok Lukas,

I read your updates on the other thread as well and I now understand that you are trying to create a backup of the repositories hosted on bitbucket.org.

I would suggest creating a script that does the following when needed:

- clone the repositories from bitbucket.org (a clone is a fully usable backup)

- stores the backup in a safe location

- deletes the backup after a predefined amount of time

This will require having a server that can trigger the clone operations and a filesystem to store the data. No additional installation of software is required. 

I also would like to understand what is the reason for creating these backups and how are you planning to use them. 

You can find more about how Atlassian provides high availability for bitbucket.org on the Does Bitbucket backup my repositories? page. As you can see the repositories are backed up regularly by Atlassian.

Thanks, Caterina - Atlassian

Mukesh Kumar Bhakar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 29, 2021

Any solution that is working today to backup all repositories from bitbucket.org?

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2018

Any full clone of a repository is essentially a full backup.

I need to make backups of more than 30 project every day.

Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2018

Do you need the bitbucket parts of the projects backed up, or just the repositories?

If it just the repositories, you can create a script to list the repositories and clone each in turn.

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2018

@Lukas Nosko, Are you talking about backing up Bitbucket Cloud to a local server?

Yes to local server and make it regularly. Have you got some quick steps which I need to follow if I want to achieve these back ups ? We have aproximatelly 30 projects on Bitbucket servers and requirement is to copy all of the projects every day on dedicated machine. I need to install Bitbucket server on this machine or ... ?  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events