Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Access denied when cloning a GIT Repository, even though able to login thru browser

Paul Swarnapandian December 15, 2021

I have a Atlassian account and am able to access Bit Bucket through the atlassian account from a browser. However when i try cloning an repository using Webstorm/Terminal or Sourcetree, I get an error stating Invalid Credential. The error message is 

The requested URL returned error: 403'

Not sure what is happening.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2021

Hi, @Paul Swarnapandian! Welcome to the community! 

I noticed that your Bitbucket account was created last month. In this case, could you please confirm if you are using your regular password or an App password to authenticate?

The reason I'm asking this is that we announced in June that we are phasing out the use of user login passwords for REST APIs and git over HTTPS. 

We recently announced the first phase of this, where any user with an Atlassian account created on or after UTC 00:00 on 13 September 2021 must use a Bitbucket Cloud generated App Password for all git operations over HTTPS and for REST API authentication.

In this case, could you please try to use an App password and confirm if this works? 

If you have any problems using or configuring an app password, please do let me know and I will be happy to assist you. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Paul Swarnapandian December 16, 2021

Hello Caroline, 

Thanks for the response. Yes, my colleague guided me and I created the app password and it worked well for me. 

Thanks for your response, have a nice weekend and holiday season. 

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2021

Hi, Paul! 

Thanks for your confirmation, I'm glad to know everything is working as expected now! 

Have a great weekend and holiday season too! 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events