Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error : user with the username already exist.

Mohammed.Bolar February 3, 2022

My email Id changed when I became contractor to full time but my username is still the same. So now whenever I tried to register for the bitbucket cloud it always connect to the new mail id and prompt me this error.

Please suggest me how to resolve the error : user with the username already exist.

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2022

Hi, @Mohammed.Bolar, welcome to the community! 

You mentioned your email Id changed and when you try to register in Bitbucket Cloud, it always connects to the new mail id. In this case, I understand you created a second Bitbucket account with this new email, is that correct?

If that’s the case, the error message you are receiving is expected because your previous account is already using this username. Since usernames must be unique for all accounts in Bitbucket, you won't be able to create an account using this username. 

As a solution for this issue, we suggest that you either:

a) Choose a different username for this new account; 

b) If you still have access to your previous account, you can change your username there to release that username. Once you pick a username that has not been chosen in Bitbucket for another user yet (not just on your company), you will be able to change your username; 

c) If you haven’t created an Atlassian account with this new email, you can change the email linked to your account by following the steps described here:

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events