Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elasticsearch not starting automatically after update of Bitbucket to 7.6.14

Stephan Krull April 7, 2022

I updated a Bitbucket instance from 7.6.2 to 7.6.14 yesterday. Recognized later that the bundled Elasticsearch sub process has not been started by the start up scripts. That was the case until the upgrade, so elasticsearch has always been started by the parental Bitbucket process before.

I think I found the root cause:

- the installer file for the Bitbucket upgrade on Linux changed the /etc/rc.d/init.d/atlbitbucket file and calls "/opt/atlassian/bitbucket/7.6.14/bin/start-bitbucket.sh --no-search", which, of course, prevents the elasticsearch process from starting

Any idea why this has been introduced? I did not find anything in the release notes: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/bitbucket-server-7-6-release-notes-1018780800.html

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2022

Hi Stephan,

Did you use the installer to install 7.6.14 or did you use the zip or tar file?

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Hello!

I used the installer.

BR

Stephan

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2022

Is there any chance you selected to install Data Center when running the installer? In that situation it would expected that ES is not started together with Bitbucket.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

True, I chose Data Center because that is the license that we run. And we run the package in standalone mode. So it is a feature, not a bug?

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
April 7, 2022

Yep, that's expected because with a multi-node DC deployment you'll need to have your own installation of Elasticsearch on a separate machine.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Like Stephan Krull likes this
0 votes
Stephan Krull April 8, 2022

I additionally asked via support request and got this documentation link about the issue, just for completeness: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Elasticsearch-not-starting-automatically-after-update-of/qaq-p/1995708#M80531

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events