Difference between 5 User Team and Personal Account during Sign Up

Hi!

At the moment I have a personal account and can create and manage a team. Now I saw that during the sign up I can also choose 5 User Team but I dont get the difference. Could anyone explain that to me?

1 answer

0 vote

Hey, Tobi!

The difference between the two usage tiers is in the number of members who can access private repositories. A personal account can create a private repository and only this account will have access to it. However, if you create a private repository with a team account, this repository can be accessed by you and 4 other members of the team. The same concept applies to higher usage tiers on Bitbucket.

Additional clarification on team and personal accounts can be found on these knowledge documents:

Teams: Frequently Asked Questions

Manage an individual account or a team

Regards,

-Joao

I still don't understand the difference. According to the latest BitBucket documentation, teams no longer have separate logins. So it seems to me that ​all​ new user accounts would be personal accounts. So if I sign up as a "personal account and create a private repository, can I allow another person access to it? Or do I have to create a team? If I sign up as "5 user team" and create a private repository (as my personal account, not as a team), can I allow another person access to it? Or do I have to create it as a team? If I sign up as a "personal account", can I later upgrade to the "still free" option that allows me to grant other users access to a private account? If the only difference between "personal account" and "5 user team" is whether I can allow other users to access my repositories, and both are free, why would anyone ever want to choose "personal account" instead of "5 user team"? I'm dreadfully confused. Surely I'm missing some little detail here. It seems like the only difference between the two is "Do you later want to grant access to someone else to your private repositories? We won't allow you to do this unless you ask up front when you are signing up."

And where, after I have signed up, can I see whether my account is considered a "personal account" or a "5 person team"? I don't see this listed anywhere under my account settings.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

28,630 views 26 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you